Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names?
Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names? [message #1770937] Fri, 18 August 2017 22:49 Go to next message
Brad Crochet is currently offline Brad CrochetFriend
When specifying the name of an element (ValueType, for instance), is there some way to include greek letters (also, sub and super scripting would be helpful)?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 August 2017 22:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names? [message #1770951 is a reply to message #1770937] Sat, 19 August 2017 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

In so far as names generally use a Unicode representation, just use your favorite Unicode characters, which may include limited amounts of subscripts/superscripts. If you want arbitrary sub/superscripting, I suggest you rethink your modeling to distinguish naming and styling.

Regards

Ed Willink

Re: Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names? [message #1770955 is a reply to message #1770951] Sat, 19 August 2017 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ed. Your point is well taken about not unnecessarily complicating the names. I'm trying to communicate with physicists, and here and there the use of greek letters would help that process a lot.

So, the obvious follow-up question is: How to I get Papyus/Eclipse to interpret Unicode codes? Is there an escape sequence used by Eclipse? I've tried "\u", but that didn't do anything.
Re: Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names? [message #1770957 is a reply to message #1770955] Sat, 19 August 2017 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

With no repro of your input / parsing it's hard to answer. But cut and paste from a Unicode editing environment is a good first try.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names? [message #1770961 is a reply to message #1770957] Sat, 19 August 2017 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been able to copy/paste a lambda from LibreOffice Writer into the Name field of a ValueType. It's a little awkward (would still love a keystroke escape sequence if anybody knows one), but that much definitely works.

I have not yet pulled off a subscript. I will post back here if I figure that one out.
Re: Is it possible to put special characters (Greek) in element names? [message #1770965 is a reply to message #1770961] Sun, 20 August 2017 01:09 Go to previous message
LibreOffice Writer (on Windows) uses "Alt-x" to insert Unicode characters by numeric code. This website:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_subscripts_and_superscripts

gives codes for the available sub and superscript Unicode characters. With this, one can build the desired combination in LO Writer, and copy/paste into Papyrus (see attached image).

index.php/fa/30426/0/
  • Attachment: Unicode.png
    (Size: 2.85KB, Downloaded 355 times)
Previous Topic:Papyrus Architecture Model - Oxygen (Creation Command Class issue)
Next Topic:Jave Errors when applying changes to Diagram Properties menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:01:00 GMT 2024