Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Installing a plugin-jar to an already existing/deployed RCP application
Installing a plugin-jar to an already existing/deployed RCP application [message #1770877] Fri, 18 August 2017 09:43 Go to next message
Murat C. is currently offline Murat C.Friend
Hi guys,

I'm trying to install (or add) a new developed plugin-jar to an already existing/deployed RCP-application. I want to find an easy way to extend the already existing RCP-application. So what we're looking for is a way to provide such an "additional" plugin.jar that the user can copy to his installation folder and then start the application and use the functionality that is provided by that plugin.jar. We do not want to bundle that plugin.jar during the initial provisioning of the application (which would of course be trivial). Furthermore we've removed all the "add software" dialogs from our RCP application itself. So what we need is to "inject" the additional plugin "from outside" the running RCP application.

First of all, I'm using 'Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers' (Version: Neon.3 Release (4.6.3)). The RCP-application was created by using the 'Eclipse product export wizard' of the corresponding product-file. The product configuration is based on a feature-file ('feature.xml') which describes all using plugins. Now I'm looking for an easy way to extend this exported RCP-application with a new developed feature (plugin-jar). I already tried different ways, which unfortunately didn't work. In the following, I will describe these different attempts:
1. I tried to add the corresponding plugin-jar to the plugins-folder of the RCP-application. Afterwards I started the application with the command "rcpapplication.exe -clean". The added plugin wasn't loaded...
2. Additionally (to 1.) I modified the 'feature.xml' file of the rcp-application by adding the plugin-information. Afterwards I started the RCP-application with the command "rcpapplication.exe -clean". The added plugin wasn't loaded...
3. I created the following folders: 'plugins'-folder under 'dropins'. I added the plugin-jar in the new created plugins-folder. Afterwards I started the RCP-application with the command "rcpapplication.exe -clean". The added plugin wasn't loaded...

Moreover, here is a way that was working (but in my opinion, it isn't an easy way):
• I added the plugin-jar to the plugins-folder of the RCP-application. I modified the bundles.info-file (folder: RCP-applicationFolder\configuration\org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator) by adding a new line with the information of the new added plugin-jar. The new line looks like 'newplugin,1.0.0.201708141356,plugins/newplugin_1.0.0.201708141356.jar,4,false'. Afterwards I started the application with the command "rcpapplication.exe -clean" and it was working...

Now, is there an easier way to add a plugin-jar to an already existing RCP-application?

Best regards,
Murat
Re: Installing a plugin-jar to an already existing/deployed RCP application [message #1772478 is a reply to message #1770877] Mon, 11 September 2017 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mana Taghdiri is currently offline Mana TaghdiriFriend

Did you find a solution for this yet? I have the same problem, both when adding a jar file to an already-exported RCP product, and also when adding new jar files to my eclipse itself.. The jar files are not recognized even when I start the application by -clean

Would appreciate any comment/suggestion on this!
Re: Installing a plugin-jar to an already existing/deployed RCP application [message #1772479 is a reply to message #1770877] Mon, 11 September 2017 09:52 Go to previous message
Mana Taghdiri is currently offline Mana TaghdiriFriend
Did you find a solution for this yet? I have the same problem, both when adding a jar file to an already-exported RCP product, and also when adding new jar files to my eclipse itself.. The jar files are not recognized even when I start the application by -clean

Would appreciate any comments/suggestion on this!
Previous Topic:Product created from a working plugin fails to start
Next Topic:Choosing plugins to update with P2 and eclipse 4 programmatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:14:39 GMT 2024