Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Windows10-VirtualBox-Debian-EclipseOxygen Launch Failure(Launch of Eclipse fails)
Windows10-VirtualBox-Debian-EclipseOxygen Launch Failure [message #1770403] Thu, 10 August 2017 20:25 Go to next message
Patrick Ireland is currently offline Patrick IrelandFriend
Eclipse Oxygen fails to launch from Debian Desktop with error:

"An error has occurred. See the log file /home/patrick/eclipse-workspace/.metadata/.log."

Directory /home/patrick/eclipse-workspace is empty so no directory .metadata and not .log file within the nonexistent directory.

Permissions of "eclipse-workspace" folder for Owner, Group, and Others set to "Create and delete files"

Using the Debian Desktop, I navigated to
/home/patrick/eclipse/cpp-oxygen/eclipse/
and double clicked on eclipse ICO

Software execution sequence is
Windows 10 -> VirtualBox -> Debian

Pertinent versions

Windows 10
VirtualBox 5.1.21r117224(Qt5.6.22)
Debian 9.1.0
Eclipse Oxygen for (C/C++) [Downloaded today 2017-08-10]

Eclipse installed successfully into directory:

home/patrick/eclipse/ccp-oxygen/eclipse

java -version
java version "9"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9+181)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-bit Server VM (build 9+181, mixed mode)

javac -version
javac 9

2 questions:
Most importantly
(1) How do I fix it so eclipse runs?
but FMI (For my information)
(2) If the fix works, what does it to to the Debian/Eclipse environment to make eclipse run successfully?

TIA,

Pat
Re: Windows10-VirtualBox-Debian-EclipseOxygen Launch Failure [message #1770405 is a reply to message #1770403] Thu, 10 August 2017 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What was the filename for "Eclipse Oxygen for (C/C++)"? Was that the entire error message?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Windows10-VirtualBox-Debian-EclipseOxygen Launch Failure [message #1770408 is a reply to message #1770405] Fri, 11 August 2017 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was all there was - thus my confusion.

Thanks for the response.
Re: Windows10-VirtualBox-Debian-EclipseOxygen Launch Failure [message #1770412 is a reply to message #1770408] Fri, 11 August 2017 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
There might a log file in /home/patrick/eclipse/ccp-oxygen/eclipse/configuration/*.log. Given that Java 9 isn't released yet, it could be some issue with trying to run with Java 9. I think Oxygen should run with Java 9, after all, I assume you ran the installer with Java 9 and that worked fine and also uses the Equinox runtime based on Oxygen, but you might want to install the latest Java 8 and see if you have better luck. First you could try to run from the command line with the -debug -consoleLog to get more details...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Windows10-VirtualBox-Debian-EclipseOxygen Launch Failure [message #1770418 is a reply to message #1770412] Fri, 11 August 2017 06:05 Go to previous message
Thanks, I will try what you suggest - in the mean time I decided to rebuild the Debian VM from scratch, making sure I did not inadvertently specify Jessie instead of Stretch.
Previous Topic:Unable to download Eclipse J2EE
Next Topic:Does anybody know a book to learn Eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:57:40 GMT 2024