Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » impact of excessive warnings on project build time
impact of excessive warnings on project build time [message #1770303] Wed, 09 August 2017 19:56 Go to next message
Phil Freihofner is currently offline Phil FreihofnerFriend
I'm trying to help out someone who has asked about long build times they get with Neon and Oxygen but not Mars. Code is roughly 1 million lines, 10 years old and generates many warnings (4000 +). On Mars, build is about a minute, and a "clean all" adds another 15 seconds. Neon and Oxygen however take 10 minutes + to run on the same code. It seems to hang at some point but he can't identify any particular part of the code where the hang happens.

I'm speculating that there might be some sort of "big 0" issue on the warning generation. For example, maybe when warnings are generated, references are made to the entire set of warnings generated up to that point in order to add some useful aspect to the warning. But I don't really know anything about what goes on under the hood for Eclipse when compiling or cleaning projects.

Curious that the issue goes away with Mars. Any thoughts on what is different and what might be done to allow the newer Eclipse builds to work better with the project. (The problem may have nothing at all to do with the warnings.)

If I get some leads here, I will provide the friend with this link and allow him to continue the discussion.
Re: impact of excessive warnings on project build time [message #1770415 is a reply to message #1770303] Fri, 11 August 2017 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This is probably better asked on the JDT forum. I have a workspace with 58 projects 1 million lines of code and 2655 warnings and it takes less than a minute to build with Oxygen. I assume you don't have your Problems view configured/filtered to show all the errors but only the first hundred or so; I know that can have a serious impact on performance. If you don't plan to fix all these warnings, you might configure the JDT Compiler Error/Warnings to ignore certain problems (raw types for example) so that you don't have so many warnings and see if that helps with the issue.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: impact of excessive warnings on project build time [message #1770434 is a reply to message #1770415] Fri, 11 August 2017 10:48 Go to previous message
Phil Freihofner is currently offline Phil FreihofnerFriend
The fellow was able to trace the problem he was having to the EGit plugin. Once that was disabled, his compilation speeds returned to normal.
Previous Topic:Does anybody know a book to learn Eclipse?
Next Topic:Bug? Convert to Maven Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:47:31 GMT 2024