Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Product created from a working plugin fails to start
Product created from a working plugin fails to start [message #1769888] Fri, 04 August 2017 15:01 Go to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
I am walking through the "Create an RCP application" tutorial.

I created a working E4-based (i.e. NOT using the e3=>e4 compatibility layer) RCP example plugin, which I can start without any problem. It yields the tutorial "View" showing the example list "One" / "Two" / "Three".

Next I wanted to create a "product" from this plugin as instructed in the tutorial (step "Create a plugin-based product").

I created the .product file and it looks OK as far as I can tell, but when I try to run this "product" (using the "Launch an eclipse application" link in the Overview tab) all I get is a popup that there are 7 constraints that are not satisfied - see screenshot. :-(

Any guidance what I am missing here and what is needed to get this fixed and running?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 August 2017 15:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Product created from a working plugin fails to start [message #1770132 is a reply to message #1769888] Tue, 08 August 2017 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
It's a pretty confusing message! You're missing the `org.eclipse.equinox.ds` bundle which provides the OSGi Declarative Services. The general recommendation is to use a feature-based product, such that you can include the `org.eclipse.e4.rcp` feature. Otherwise carefully ensure that you have all of the bundles referenced from the `org.eclipse.e4.rcp` feature.

Brian.
Re: Product created from a working plugin fails to start [message #1770311 is a reply to message #1770132] Wed, 09 August 2017 22:05 Go to previous message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
Brian de Alwis wrote on Tue, 08 August 2017 16:43
It's a pretty confusing message! ....

After removing all existing runtime workspaces and restarting from a clean (re-)install I didn't get these missing constraints issues any more but different errors. So, this time I'll try to recap my steps as precisely as possible:

1. I downloaded and installed the Eclipse flavour "Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers".
  2. I opened the Tutorial and the Cheat sheet for "Creating a Rich Client Application"
  3. First bullet is to create a plugin, so:

1. Selected "File->New->Project...
    2. Named it "com.example.rcpapp" as described. Clicked "Next"
    3. Selected the "Yes" radio button under the "Rich Client Application" heading on the "Plug-in Content" page and click "Next"
    4. Since there is no "Hello RCP" Template (as described in the cheat sheet) I choose "Eclipse 4 RCP application". Clicked "Next"
    5. To make things a bit more interesting I also checked the two checkboxes "create sample content" and "add a life cycle class" and then hit "Finish".

4. Next the cheat sheet reads "Run the application" and instructs to

1. Select the "com.example.rcpapp" plug-in editor from the workbench and select the "Overview" tab within it
    2. Click the "Launch an Eclipse application" hyperlink under the "Testing" heading

5. If I do so a new Eclipse splash screen appears and then I get a rudimentary workbench with a project explorer and an outline view at the left as well as a task view at the bottom.
    On the console I get a couple of error messages (multiple slf4j bindings, key binding conflicts, etc) and finally ending in:
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui 2 0 2017-08-09 23:36:40.991
    !MESSAGE java.lang.NullPointerException
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.SetupUIPlugin.performStartup(SetupUIPlugin.java:445)
    	at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.SetupUIPlugin.access$5(SetupUIPlugin.java:416)
    	at org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.SetupUIPlugin$1$1.run(SetupUIPlugin.java:253)
    	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:56)

That's not quite what I had expected...

Looking at the source code of the created sample code there are four handlers and a "SamplePart" defined and an Application.e4xmi file that seems to define menu entries and a window and dialogs referencing these (I don't understand this e4xmi file, yet, but I read that this is defining the actions and handlers and other E4 GUI stuff). So I would have expected a view "SamplePart" with some menu entries for About, Open, Save and Quit.

But I don't see any menu entry or command or toolbar or anything to open such a "SamplePart", e.g. via File => New => Other => SamplePart or anything similar. :-(

So, how is one supposed to interact and "play" with that sample code and start going?

It seems to me as if the Tutorial/Cheat Sheet and the templates don't fit to each other and the template doesn't properly run - at least not out-of-the-box. What am I missing?
Previous Topic:Newly created RCP application: 81 errors :-(
Next Topic:Installing a plugin-jar to an already existing/deployed RCP application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:42:46 GMT 2024