Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debugging Error
Debugging Error [message #1769341] Sun, 30 July 2017 10:28 Go to next message
Alex Smith is currently offline Alex SmithFriend
I'm having trouble getting debugging working on Eclipse. I'm currently running the latest version of Eclipse Oxygen, on MacOS Sierra (10.12.6). I have gdb 8.0 installed, and it seems to work in the terminal. However, when I try to debug the "Hello World" sample program , I get the attached error. Is there a workaround for this?

index.php/fa/30186/0/
Re: Debugging Error [message #1769520 is a reply to message #1769341] Tue, 01 August 2017 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Are you able to do command line debug of your program? If so, then it sounds like a potential bug in CDT to file. If not, it sounds like a bug in GDB to file.

Can you try with GDB 7.12? 7.12 has been out a bit longer and I know from others it works (in general). GDB 8.0 was released at about the same time as Oxygen, so perhaps there is a mismatch between CDT and GDB.

Any diagnosis you can do will help greatly resolve the problem.

File CDT bugs here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT
File GDB bugs here: https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
Re: Debugging Error [message #1769524 is a reply to message #1769520] Tue, 01 August 2017 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Smith is currently offline Alex SmithFriend
Weirdly enough, trying to debug the Hello World program again worked. It seems to have resolved itself somehow. I'm not really sure what changed, as I essentially just quit Eclipse, put my computer to sleep, and then tried it again when I opened Eclipse today after seeing your message. I'm still on GDB 8.0, with Eclipse Oxygen, and I didn't notice any updates coming in from Eclipse.
Re: Debugging Error [message #1769540 is a reply to message #1769524] Tue, 01 August 2017 12:22 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Glad to hear it works now. If you can do again end up with a reproducible failure, please let us know.

Quote:
I didn't notice any updates coming in from Eclipse.

Sorry, wasn't clear. GDB 8.0 was released in June, at the same time as Eclipse Oxygen, also released in June. There are no updates (in this area*) for GDB support. My point was simply that during the active development cycle, most of the testing for Oxygen was using GDB 7.12.

HTH,
Jonah

* CDT 9.3.1 was released in July, you can update to it for some improvements to UI responsiveness when doing builds. Eclipse Oxygen include CDT 9.3.0.

Previous Topic:I this conceptually feasible / correct?
Next Topic:Developing / debugging "workspace" on shared resource
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:10:26 GMT 2024