Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Developing / debugging "workspace" on shared resource (Seeking comments on concept )
Developing / debugging "workspace" on shared resource [message #1769326] Sat, 29 July 2017 14:39 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
I want to develop and debug C++ software to be executed on Raspberry Pi (controller).

I have working Eclipse Oxygen on x86 architecture.
I can use either 32 bits Eclipse Oxygen or 64 bits running on appropriate OS Ubuntu .
I understand that currently there is no Eclipse Oxygen for ARM (Raspberry Pi) no issue there. I am using Eclipse just because it does the job for me.

At current time , the Raspberry Pi OS is Rasbpian 32 bits.
( I do have plans to experiment with others OS, perhaps real 64 bits, in future.)

I feel the simplest way to physically debug / observe the desired I/O operations is to to have Eclipse "workspace" residing on the Raspberry Pi.
To that effect I implemented samba server on Raspberry Pi and have access to Raspberry Pi resources.

Does this sounds KISS , plausible ?
Thanks for your time.
Re: Developing / debugging "workspace" on shared resource [message #1769517 is a reply to message #1769326] Tue, 01 August 2017 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Quote:
Does this sounds KISS , plausible ?

No, this does not sound right. you should run Eclipse on your host (Windows/Linux/Mac) machine. Then using remote debug to debug and run on the target (Raspberry Pi). That would be KISS as that is what most people do when developing for an embedded target.

Jonah
Re: Developing / debugging "workspace" on shared resource [message #1769569 is a reply to message #1769517] Tue, 01 August 2017 17:26 Go to previous message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
Not sure I fully get the concept of running the development on one and remote debug on another system.
I'll do some study on that, maybe I am making it more complex than it is.
Would this also present a problem - the development runs on x86 architecture of Eclipse - Oxygen.
At present Raspberry Pi - ARM architecture is "stuck" on Eclipse 3.8.
Apparently I would have to compile my own ARM version of Oxygen, probably even change Raspberry OS to Ubuntu same time to make life easier.
I am not sure 3.8 has a "remote ' ability.
Either way - would there be a single copy of workspace files and where?

I did try my convoluted scheme but could not execute Oxygen on the PC, I need to remove all Eclipse 3.8 code I still have floating around.

Previous Topic:Debugging Error
Next Topic:Selecting "Application" in configuration fails in latest Oxygen
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:18:56 GMT 2024