Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » How to create multiple Display objects?
How to create multiple Display objects? [message #1768667] Fri, 21 July 2017 07:26 Go to next message
Ralph Reichts is currently offline Ralph ReichtsFriend
Hello guys,

due to a massive memory leak with the SWT browser widget (ref https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=134646) I am in need to create at least one other Display instance. I am fully aware that "it is not recommended" and any application should "almost always" only use one display instance. Though I haven't found any specific reasons why this is supported (on windows) but in fact a bad idea. So I still do hope, that there is a workaround for that.

My goal is to use another display instance to draw (only) the browser in a part so I can dispose the display when the part is closed and finally be able to free all allocated memory.

As I am already in the GUI-Thread when the part is created and I try to create another object instance, I of course recieve the "invalid thread exception".

Does anyone know a way to get around this problem? Any help would be much appreciated. Even if it's a clear statement, that this is at the moment not achievable.

Thank a lot!
Re: How to create multiple Display objects? [message #1769013 is a reply to message #1768667] Tue, 25 July 2017 16:22 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
You'll have to fork a new thread and create the new display instance there. That thread will become your UI thread for that second instance.
Previous Topic:Eclipse 4 with Spring and Hibernate
Next Topic:Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.equinox.security.ui
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:23:05 GMT 2024