Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Custom serialization format(How big is the project likely to be?)
Custom serialization format [message #1767842] Tue, 11 July 2017 14:07 Go to next message
Geoffry Roberts is currently offline Geoffry RobertsFriend
All,

I am trying to get a sense as to how much work I am thinking of getting into.

EMF does serializations to and from XMI and XML right out of the box. I have used a product that did the same thing with JSON. I have seen a product that claimed it would do RDF. I have a special need to serialize to a special format (HLA's FOM file, if anyone knows what that is.)

My question is, how big of a project is such a thing likely to be? Has anyone ever written a custom serializer?

My output is a nested structure similar to XML but with different delimiters.

I hope I've been clear.
Thanks
Re: Custom serialization format [message #1767846 is a reply to message #1767842] Tue, 11 July 2017 14:35 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

If your requirement is really very similar to XML, a shell regex might do, e.g. sed. Perhaps a simple Java aided regex is necessary. More likely a simple model-blind SAXParser and direct output. But it really depends on the format of xmi:idrefs.

You could override EMF serialization, but EMF has so much power/complexity for XSD etc that you will be struggling with unhelpfully flexible code unless you really want that power.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:[CDO] MasterServer Crash - macOS
Next Topic:[CDO] - EJavaObject mapping failed with a PostgreSQL database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:09:42 GMT 2024