Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Best way to deal with checkout/checkin issues with .classpath and .settings files
Best way to deal with checkout/checkin issues with .classpath and .settings files [message #1767622] Fri, 07 July 2017 18:41 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I work on a largish multimodule Maven build project, using git for SCM. Quite a while ago, someone had pushed the .classpath and .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs files to our repo. When he pushed them, they were specifying the use of JDK 1.5. Our code now requires JDK 1.8, and every time I check out this code, I get some annoying errors that I'm now used to. Each time I see this, I edit the project properties, unchecking the "Enable project specific settings" checkbox and replace the JRE 1.5 library with the default JRE 1.8 library.

I thought I would fix this by pushing the new versions of those files, but now when I try to pull the latest changes, I get checkout conflicts on those files, as I imagine Eclipse tries to modify them locally.

Is the proper fix to just remove these files from git and let m2e/eclipse set these files appropriately? Assuming that's true, what is the procedure in egit for removing and pushing files that I want Eclipse to recreate?
Re: Best way to deal with checkout/checkin issues with .classpath and .settings files [message #1767995 is a reply to message #1767622] Wed, 12 July 2017 14:59 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
If you want to remove a versioned file from git history, select the file, click Team > Advanced > Untrack and commit this change
Previous Topic:Improvement: commit message history combo
Next Topic:Keyboard Shortcuts to Navigate Through Changes in Egit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:07:51 GMT 2024