Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports
"Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767388] Wed, 05 July 2017 13:27 Go to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

The AERI system is flooded with entries of kind "Invalid ZIP archive: ......somefile". The files are not necessarily actual Jar or Zip files that are in error, but often also other kind of files (pom.xml, .dll's and many more). The error usually is logged in JarPackageFragmentRoot.computeChildren.

There is not much Eclipse can do about this. It seems that users have invalid files on their classpath or corrupt Jars. So that is a user error from my perspective.

However, they usually get this kind of error popping up and some of them report them to AERI. There are currently >15k incidents of this kind. Only yesterday there were > 80 new entries.

I am wondering how we could improve the user experience. The first alternative is to suppress the error popping up and log them maybe with lower priority. The users might wonder if their projects don't behave as expected and might be not aware of a configuration issue.

The other alternative is to configure AERI to auto-reject these kind of errors with a detailed description that explains that it is not JDT's fault if something corrupt or invalid is on the classpath. This way at least those who try to report get notice that they have an invalid state that causes the issue. But those who don't report might get annoyed.

What idea your idea to address this issue?

~Karsten
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767405 is a reply to message #1767388] Wed, 05 July 2017 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I thought that one of the goals of AERI was to recognize known problems and offer the user associated recommendations so that they sort out their problem rather than raising the same issue again.

Perhaps there is a problem in AERI's recogniton of this same-problem.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767420 is a reply to message #1767405] Wed, 05 July 2017 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I guess that AERI cannot recognize them as known problems since each issue entry refers to a different file that cannot be opened as Zip archive. But I think AERI could be configured with an Auto Action to close these issues by matching the part of the message that is common.

But the question also is: Is this a sufficient handling of such issues? So, when the user files an issue to AERI that the response will be that this was auto closed and a 3rd party problem?

And how could we configure such an action globally? This happens on all projects and I don't know if an auto action can be configured there. And should it be?
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767451 is a reply to message #1767420] Thu, 06 July 2017 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

Ideally some AERI issue should be edited so that
- it responds to the bad file on classpath
- rejects the issue explaining how to locate/correct the bad file

Another AERI issue should be edited so that
- it responds to the corrupt JAR on classpath
- rejects the issue explaining how to locate/correct the corrupt JAR

Then with 'rejection' being accompanied by a solution, the user is helped, not redirected/ignored, and AERI is not swamped.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767453 is a reply to message #1767451] Thu, 06 July 2017 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Ed,

I also think that a good explanation for auto closing is a move forwards. It is obviously a corrupt environment / configuration that is causing the failure, and that is not Eclipse's fault.

I'll try to get Marcel's attention on this topic, he could help us on this.

Thanks,
~Karsten
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767471 is a reply to message #1767453] Thu, 06 July 2017 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Dorn is currently offline Johannes DornFriend
Hi,

Karsten contacted me to look into this issue.

As there are some misconceptions about what happened with users experiencing that exception, let me first explain what happened for users until now.

- Eclipse logged the exception in question
- The Aeri client asked the Eclipse Error Reporting server whether it was interested in receiving the report
- The server then matched the exception to two problems (problem 1, problem 2), each with their own bug.
- As one of the problems was still open, the server replied that it was interested in the report.
- The client then asked the user to report

The two possible solutions I discussed with Karsten are to close both issues as NOT_ECLIPSE which would result in the AERI client not displaying anything to the user and no report being sent.

The second solution is to close both issues as WON'T FIX and set a "Custom Resolution Message" for both within the Error Reporting server UI.
This results in the user to get a message that states:

Thank you for your report. This problem has been marked as "Won't Fix." {customResolutionMessage}. If you disagree with this assessment, please visit bug 469591 and get in touch with the developers.

Karsten asked me to close the existing incidents/problems and draft a message for the users.
Thus, I've linked both problems to Bug 469591 which already was closed as "Won't Fix". and added a custom resolution message. Users now gets a message of:

Thank you for your report. This problem has been marked as "Won't Fix." It is caused by an invalid or corrupt classpath. Please check your classpath. If you disagree with this assessment, please visit bug 469591 and get in touch with the developers.

Note that the parts before and after the custom resolution message can only be changed for every problem that is marked as "Won't Fix".
Note further, that we have a very limited space for the custom resolution message in the notification. Thus it has to be kept quite short.

If you want to change that message, you can do so in both problems (problem 1, problem 2).
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767472 is a reply to message #1767471] Thu, 06 July 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks! Awesome support!
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1767474 is a reply to message #1767472] Thu, 06 July 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Johannes

Great. AERI already has the required support, but only if the issue is resolved.

Perhaps as part of your oversight you might spot open issues recurring at perhaps 100 per week or more so that someone is encouraged to resolve them promptly / provisionally.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1773456 is a reply to message #1767474] Thu, 28 September 2017 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
ZIP files popularly called as ZIP archives among users are nothing but compressed folder with .zip or .zipx extensions. This file is majorly used to store several files of related data under one roof due which transferring, emailing or downloading larger files becomes easy.
Re: "Invalid ZIP archive" error reports [message #1774248 is a reply to message #1773456] Thu, 12 October 2017 08:25 Go to previous message
tang hao is currently offline tang haoFriend
Perhaps there is a problem in AERI's recogniton of this same-problem.
Previous Topic:Recording User Activity
Next Topic:Progressbars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:26:35 GMT 2024