Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4
EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4 [message #1767258] Tue, 04 July 2017 09:16 Go to next message
Roman Zimmer is currently offline Roman ZimmerFriend
Hey @łl,

We are developing a RCP application based on e4. Currently, we have the requirement to display differences of our domain models and love to use EMF Compare for this. Unfortunately, I didn't find any information how to do this despite of a corresponding bug report. The component org.eclipse.emf.compare.ide.ui.e4 is merged a year ago, but I couldn't find the component via the update site nor any other way to download + install it.

Any help how to retrieve and use org.eclipse.emf.compare.ide.ui.e4 in our project is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Roman
Re: EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4 [message #1767322 is a reply to message #1767258] Tue, 04 July 2017 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found another bug report for Compare. I suppose, this should have been merged, too, as I wanted to use CompareUI.openCompareDialog() for displaying the differences... :-/
Re: EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4 [message #1767365 is a reply to message #1767258] Wed, 05 July 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Dirix is currently offline Stefan DirixFriend
Hi Roman.

Executing EMFCompare in E4 is still a niche use case, so currently you have to do a a few steps manually to get it running.

First you need to be able to run Platform/Compare within E4 because EMFCompare depends on it. Since Bug #473847 is not fixed yet, you need to checkout the "org.eclipse.compare" bundle from Platform/Team yourself, integrate it in your build and apply the patch from Gerrit #57628.

Then you need, as you noticed, the "org.eclipse.emf.compare.ide.ui.e4" bundle. This bundle exchanges a workbench-dependent component EMFCompare uses with a workbench-independent one. As reported in Bug #514296 this bundle is currently not provided via an update site. You therefore need to checkout the bundle from EMFCompare yourself and integrate it in your build.

Once you have done this, you should be able to run the EMFCompare Dialog in your E4 application.

One more hint: you should set some preferences programmatically to avoid for example the popups in EMFCompare linking to preference pages you do not have in E4.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Stefan

--
Stefan Dirix

Get professional Eclipse developer support from EclipseSource (see http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/)
Re: EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4 [message #1767456 is a reply to message #1767365] Thu, 06 July 2017 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stefan,

thanks a lot for your advices! I hope all this will be integrated upstream some day... Nevertheless, with your help, I finally managed to get the compare dialog running in e4!

Essentially, it's working quiet good so far. I'm still struggling with the configuration and some functionality is throwing NPEs, but this is another topic ;)

Thanks again,
Roman
Re: EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4 [message #1853308 is a reply to message #1767456] Mon, 27 June 2022 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V de Groot is currently offline V de GrootFriend
Bug #473847 seems to be solved,

But as far as I know, the bundle is still not included in the Update site (Bug #514296 ) any progress since March 2017 ?
Re: EMF Compare dialog in standalone RCP application e4 [message #1853471 is a reply to message #1853308] Mon, 04 July 2022 06:48 Go to previous message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hello,

As you've already found out, this first requires us to fix Bug 514296 which had gone under the radar. This should be done for 2022-09 M1 due next tuesday.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Previous Topic:git logicalmerge
Next Topic:EMF Compare Diff unexpected behavior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:12:21 GMT 2024