Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Don't understand "trigger points"
Don't understand "trigger points" [message #1767041] Thu, 29 June 2017 22:08 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I read through the "What's new" page, and the information about "trigger points" is still a mystery to me. I don't understand what it does. I even went to the online help, and I found this set of statements:
Quote:
Select the Trigger point option to define the selected breakpoint as a trigger point.

All the other breakpoints that are initially suppressed by triggers will be hit only after any of the trigger points has been hit. All the triggers are disabled after a trigger point is hit and will be re-enabled after the run.

I imagine this must be describing what they're for, but it's still not clear to me. I get the feeling it's some sort of thing where all breakpoints are disabled UNTIL it gets to the trigger point, or perhaps they are all disable AFTER the trigger point, but it's unclear to me.
Re: Don't understand "trigger points" [message #1767053 is a reply to message #1767041] Fri, 30 June 2017 05:35 Go to previous message
Sasikanth Bharadwaj is currently offline Sasikanth BharadwajFriend
Quote:
I imagine this must be describing what they're for, but it's still not clear to me. I get the feeling it's some sort of thing where all breakpoints are disabled UNTIL it gets to the trigger point, or perhaps they are all disable AFTER the trigger point, but it's unclear to me.

Trigger points act as triggers for all other breakpoints, so any other breakpoints will act as if they are disabled until the trigger point is hint, and will work normally from then on.
I guess the help entry wanted to convey that trigger points themselves stop acting as triggers once they are hit, i.e. they are regular breakpoints for the rest of the run. I guess a bug needs to be filed to correct the entry
Previous Topic:Xtext/Xtend
Next Topic:eclipse-java-neon-2-win32 - antiviruse pop alert
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:55:58 GMT 2024