Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse IDE for Java Developers(Windows 64bit and Java)
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers [message #1766898] Wed, 28 June 2017 15:55 Go to next message
David Nicholson is currently offline David NicholsonFriend
Hi.

I've been asked to package "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers", both 32bit and 64bit versions, for one of my customers.

I've packaged the 32bit version using JRE 8.131 and JDK 8.131 32bit and Eclipse launches fine.
For the 64bit version, I used the 64bit versions of JRE and JDK and when Eclipse is launched the following error is displayed:
"A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations: C:\Eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe
javaw.exe in your current path"

I've put the bin folder path for both JDK bin and JRE bin into the Path env variable to no avail. I've also replicated this locally on a 64bit device and get the same. Should I have used the 32bit verions of JRE/JDK for the 64bit Eclipse and is this why the error is happening?

Thanks.
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers [message #1766955 is a reply to message #1766898] Thu, 29 June 2017 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I think in both cases you could copy the jre folder of the JDK or the JRE folder itself to the folder in which the eclipse.exe is located (if you want to package them together). Otherwise, you can edit the eclipse.ini to add two lines before the -vmargs line to specify where the VM is located:
-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_72\jre\bin
Of course then it must be at this location for all machines.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers [message #1766971 is a reply to message #1766955] Thu, 29 June 2017 08:08 Go to previous message
David Nicholson is currently offline David NicholsonFriend
Hi Ed.

I neglected to say that in both versions I installed JRE and JDK into their default install locations i.e. 'Program Files'.

I'll try amending the INI file first.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.
Previous Topic:Error when opening application
Next Topic:Why do my new Java projects say "workspace master"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:35:05 GMT 2024