Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » How to pinpoint slow install/startup times?("Committing the provisioning operation" and startup takes a long time)
How to pinpoint slow install/startup times? [message #1766405] Wed, 21 June 2017 07:33 Go to next message
Jens Rabe is currently offline Jens RabeFriend
I need some Maven dependencies and stuff from my SBT project in my Eclipse RCP project so I used the p2-maven-plugin to create an update site and install them into my workbench from there. Now, after installing them, I get some serious slowdowns. When installing, the step "Committing the provisioning operation" (83%) takes about 5 minutes and starting Eclipse (or running a plugin in an RCP style run configuration) takes about as long to start. During this time, I get 100% CPU usage and all memory I gave the workbench by the -Xmx setting in eclipse.ini is taken.

I tried the switches -consoleLog -debug -verbose but it only goes to "Time to load plugins: 42", then it sits there for like 5 minutes at 100% CPU and RAM utilization and then it goes on.

How should I track that down?
Re: How to pinpoint slow install/startup times? [message #1766890 is a reply to message #1766405] Wed, 28 June 2017 15:11 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
So a first step is to show the per-bundle startup time. Put the following into a file named perf.options[/em]
org.eclipse.osgi/debug/bundleTime = true

and then launch your Eclipse with "eclipse -debug perf.options". That should show when bundles are activated and the time it takes to activate them.

I've noticed slowdowns on first-starts (or with `-clean`) with long times taken for resolving. The resolving information is cached so subsequent runs should be fast. You can see some of the findings at:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=516664

Brian.
Previous Topic:Click 'Help->Help Contents', Eclipse is crashed in Linux
Next Topic:Eclipse Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:08:59 GMT 2024