Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Eclipse Layout Kernel » Layout parts of a diagram(Only sub-parts of a diagram should be modified, while respecting the existing elements that are not included in the layouting.)
Layout parts of a diagram [message #1765891] Wed, 14 June 2017 11:31 Go to next message
Sebastian Mense is currently offline Sebastian MenseFriend
It's my goal to, like stated in the description, layout only parts of a diagram.

I am aware that I could technically specify the layouting elements I pass
as it's own diagram and apply the results accordingly into my diagram.
That however would limit the space where elements could be placed to
a rectangular shape and would also not include my further requirement,
where I want to be able to layout connectors only.

I didn't find any way of getting this to work so I wanted to ask before
writing own algorithms. If this is not possible how close can I get to this
solution using ELK?

Best Regards
Sebastian M.
Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1766087 is a reply to message #1765891] Thu, 15 June 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Daniel Schulze is currently offline Christoph Daniel SchulzeFriend
Hi Sebastian!

Laying out only parts of a diagram such that they do not overlap other parts is currently not supported. Your proposed solution would be the way to go there. Regarding connector routing, we are currently working on an algorithm that does exactly that. If everything goes well, my guess is that it will be available in about three months.

Cheers,
Christoph Daniel
Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1771608 is a reply to message #1766087] Mon, 28 August 2017 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit VIAUD is currently offline Benoit VIAUDFriend
Hello,

I have the exact same need as Sebastian, including the ability to compute a layout for ports and edges only, while nodes would be fixed.
But the first step would be to fix the position of nodes, in the ELK layered algo.

You are mentionning that Quote:
my guess is that it will be available in about three months
What did you have in mind as a solution? How will we know that it is available?
Does everything goes well, as you were expecting? Otherwise, do you have a new target?

Best regards,

Benoit

[Updated on: Tue, 29 August 2017 07:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1771610 is a reply to message #1766087] Mon, 28 August 2017 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit VIAUD is currently offline Benoit VIAUDFriend

PS: I was somehow hopping that the undocumented "Partitioning" feature could do something as expected, but my hope was only based on the naming (Layout partition). I guess that I was too optimistic. So by the way, what is "Layout partitioning"?

[Updated on: Tue, 29 August 2017 07:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1772173 is a reply to message #1771608] Wed, 06 September 2017 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Daniel Schulze is currently offline Christoph Daniel SchulzeFriend
Hi Benoit,

sorry for the delayed reply - I just came back from vacation. ;)

Benoit VIAUD wrote on Mon, 28 August 2017 15:15

You are mentionning that Quote:
my guess is that it will be available in about three months
What did you have in mind as a solution? How will we know that it is available?
Does everything goes well, as you were expecting? Otherwise, do you have a new target?

The idea was to develop a separate layout algorithm specialized in edge routing, completely separate from ELK Layered, hopefully as part of the next release (which we will start planning tomorrow, as it happens).

I will leave details as to how well it went to Ulf, who has a better overview there.

Benoit VIAUD wrote on Mon, 28 August 2017 15:29

So by the way, what is "Layout partitioning"?

This is a way to influence how nodes are placed along the horizontal axis. ELK Layered distributes nodes over vertical columns. Partitioning allows us to restrict that distribution such that nodes in the same partition are put into consecutive columns. It's basically like grouping columns in a table and defining which group a node should be part of, while not caring about which exact column inside that group it will end up in.
Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1774326 is a reply to message #1772173] Thu, 12 October 2017 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philip Alldredge is currently offline Philip AlldredgeFriend
Being able to layout parts of a diagram would be very useful.

I am interested in the edge routing algorithm as well. How is that looking? Is that something that will be available in a release in the near-term?
Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1774401 is a reply to message #1774326] Fri, 13 October 2017 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulf Rueegg is currently offline Ulf RueeggFriend
Unfortunately the standalone edge routing isn't stable enough at this point and won't make it into a near-term release. Nevertheless, it stays on our agenda.
Re: Layout parts of a diagram [message #1774416 is a reply to message #1774401] Fri, 13 October 2017 20:15 Go to previous message
Philip Alldredge is currently offline Philip AlldredgeFriend
Okay. Thank you. I hope to use it in the future even if it isn't in the immediate future.
Previous Topic:Sizing nodes wrt ports : just can't get it work
Next Topic:Support for complex edge labels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:02:49 GMT 2024