Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Eclipse Error For Apache Tomcat: Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/T(Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 9.0/backup\catalina.policy: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 9.0\backup\catalina.policy (The system cannot fi)
Eclipse Error For Apache Tomcat: Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/T [message #1765147] Wed, 07 June 2017 04:18 Go to next message
Arnob Dey is currently offline Arnob DeyFriend
Hey everyone,

While trying to start tomcat from eclipse I'm getting an Error that says..

Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 9.0/backup\catalina.policy: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 9.0\backup\catalina.policy (The system cannot find the path specified)

I can clearly see that the path itself is malformed and there's is no 'backup' directory. From where did it pulled that incorrect path and how can I correct it?

Note: Tomcat starts and stops fine when I'm trying to run it manually directly from Tomcat installation folder without any error.

Things that I have tried so far:

1. Deleted the server and re-created it in eclipse.
2. Checked, modified, removed and recreated run time for Apache Tomcat.
3. Ensure folder permissions (The folder named 'C:/Program files/Apache Software Foundation') set to 'Full Control' for all users.
4. Re-installed Apache Tomcat from scratch.
5. Moved to a new clean work space and rebuild everything from scratch.

6. and finally when it became maddening enough I deleted existing eclipse package and then downloaded and re-installed the latest eclipse package from eclipse.org

There's only one thing left to do............... change my workstation.
Re: Eclipse Error For Apache Tomcat: Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundati [message #1765237 is a reply to message #1765147] Wed, 07 June 2017 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
If you right-click on the server and select Open, in the Server Locations what is selected?
Re: Eclipse Error For Apache Tomcat: Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundati [message #1765381 is a reply to message #1765237] Fri, 09 June 2017 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arnob Dey is currently offline Arnob DeyFriend
"Use Tomcat Installation" is selected. The path is correct.

I was able to resolve this issue by manually creating a backup folder in the Tomcat installation directory(C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 9.0) . Although "Full Control" privilege is given to all users and group so Eclipse could have created this by itself.

I happen to understand this by creating a separate fresh Tomcat installation to test it at a different location and pointed the server run time path for the new location. And when I selected the option "Use Tomcat Installation" I immediately discovered a backup and a wtpwebapps(expected) directory has been created by Eclipse.

Not exactly sure about the root cause for this kind of behavior or if I did something wrong.
Re: Eclipse Error For Apache Tomcat: Error copying file to C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundati [message #1765435 is a reply to message #1765381] Fri, 09 June 2017 13:25 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
Thanks. Yes, the "backup" folder is only created when you select "Use Tomcat Installation". The WebTools Tomcat support assumes that it is okay to create the "backup" folder under the location of the installation. This is the simple and logical approach. However, this assumption isn't valid on Windows if the Tomcat installation is under "Program Files". I believe since Windows 7, the "Program Files" folder and I believe sub directories are not technically writable. To provide compatibility with programs that still try to write there, Windows tries to "fake" writing. Instead of writing under "Program Files", the file is written under "Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. You may need to enable displaying hidden files to see it. Files found there will override originals under "Program Files". I suspect this "trickery" is having issues in your use case, permissions not withstanding. If you were to install Tomcat, or lay down a Tomcat zip, someplace outside of "Program Files", I would not expect you to see this problem.
Previous Topic:Link inside proposals?
Next Topic:Eclipse Neon.3: Separate Tomcat installation required?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:27:46 GMT 2024