Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2
Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1765087] Tue, 06 June 2017 13:06 Go to next message
Gilbert Fernandes is currently offline Gilbert FernandesFriend
I have installed JRE 32 bits, then 64 bits
Then JDK 64 bits
I install my Eclipse and select d:\Eclipse as target.

I get this :

Fetching compositeContent.jar from http://download.eclipse.org/oomph/updates/milestone/latest/ (440B)
ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository code=0 An error occurred while downloading http://download.eclipse.org/technology/epp/packages/neon/content.xml.xz. The cache file C:\Users\gfernandes\.p2\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository\cache\downloading\2079680757 could not be renamed to C:\Users\gfernandes\.p2\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository\cache\2079680757.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.CacheManager.updateCache(CacheManager.java:428)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.CacheManager.createCacheFromFile(CacheManager.java:132)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.XZedSimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.getLocalFile(XZedSimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.java:56)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.XZedSimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.load(XZedSimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.java:78)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.factoryLoad(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:57)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.loadRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:768)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.oomph.util.ReflectUtil.invokeMethod(ReflectUtil.java:117)
at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingRepositoryManager.loadRepository(CachingRepositoryManager.java:396)
at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingRepositoryManager.loadRepository(CachingRepositoryManager.java:199)
at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingRepositoryManager$Metadata.loadRepository(CachingRepositoryManager.java:463)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:96)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:92)
at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.ProfileTransactionImpl$RepositoryLoader$Worker.perform(ProfileTransactionImpl.java:1613)
at org.eclipse.oomph.util.WorkerPool$Worker.run(WorkerPool.java:428)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Took 1 seconds.
There are failed tasks.
Press Back to choose different settings or Cancel to abort.

-

I closed the installer.
Went into Users\<myprofilename>
And there, I deleted the .p2 folder

Started the installer again : fails in standard mode
Also fails if I switch to advanced mode, with the same error.

Seems it downloads files, then it tries to "rename" and unless the log message is wrong, it seems to me it's trying not to rename, but move a file from a folder to another.

No idea how to fix this. Restarting the installer it always tries to use a .p2 folder inside c:\Users\<profile>
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1765146 is a reply to message #1765087] Wed, 07 June 2017 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, p2 downloads into the downloading folder first and then does a File.renameTo to "move" it to the cache folder (I assume to prevent partial or failed downloads from ending up in the cache proper). That apparently is failing, which is kind of inexplicable. However, from past experience, I've found that my virus scanner on Windows was the cause of this problem. I.e., it scans each newly created file and thereby locks it. Perhaps a virus scanner is involved in this problem.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1765160 is a reply to message #1765146] Wed, 07 June 2017 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilbert Fernandes is currently offline Gilbert FernandesFriend
I have been able to go around. I clicked on the small icon at the right of the "P2" line and selected a folder I created in my D: partition
Then, in the pop-up there was an alternative choice I used, and it installed perfectly

:)
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1765355 is a reply to message #1765087] Thu, 08 June 2017 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John J. Franey is currently offline John J. FraneyFriend
See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3iouzd/issue_windows_defender_locking_up_downloaded/

I disabled 'automatic sample submission', and the above error did not occur anymore.

I have windows 10, and disabled here:

Windows Defender Security Center
-> Virus & Threat protection
-> Virus & Threat protection settings
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1766392 is a reply to message #1765087] Wed, 21 June 2017 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
 is currently offline Friend
Adding -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to the end of the eclipse.ini file worked great The -vmargs parameter was already there.
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=270718&goto=1711986&
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1766393 is a reply to message #1765087] Wed, 21 June 2017 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adding -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to the end of the eclipse.ini file worked great The -vmargs parameter was already there.
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=270718&goto=1711986&
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1766394 is a reply to message #1766393] Wed, 21 June 2017 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1781948 is a reply to message #1765146] Wed, 14 February 2018 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Millet is currently offline Richard MilletFriend
Had this exact same problem on MacOS (High Sierra). I assumed this was a permissions issue since I was running the installer from my "Downloads" folder/directory. Moving the installer into the Applications folder and running it from there solved the problem for me.
Re: Can't install Eclipse Neon : problem with files in .p2 [message #1783406 is a reply to message #1765087] Mon, 12 March 2018 16:38 Go to previous message
Alan De Goes is currently offline Alan De GoesFriend
Had the same issue on Windows 10 Enterprise (x64) and it was resolved when running the installer as administrator.
Previous Topic:Issue pulling preferences in project pointed to from project catalog
Next Topic:Generate .setup from an existing project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:56:17 GMT 2024