Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Lyo » Simple OSLC spec?(Simple OSLC spec?)
Simple OSLC spec? [message #1765040] Tue, 06 June 2017 00:14 Go to next message
Matt Stone is currently offline Matt StoneFriend
I haven't seen a simple OSLC spec. A spec "anything" could conform to. There are a lot of stove pipe services out there that elements of the OLSC specs realm may rely upon. Is there a means of providing a generic resource type?
Re: Simple OSLC spec? [message #1765083 is a reply to message #1765040] Tue, 06 June 2017 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Amsden is currently offline Jim AmsdenFriend
There are no MUST statements in OSLC Core, all the capabilities and services are optional. Rather OSLC provides a standard means of discovering the integration services (delegated creation and selection dialogs, resource preview, resource creation, discovery, query) a server provides. OSLC is built on HTTP, so a minimal OSLC server would be an HTTP server that supported GET on resources with content negotiation to support RDF resource representations.

There are however many SHOULD statements in the OSLC spec, and these are intended to expand and encourage integration capabilities. In terms of generic resource types, each of the OSLC Domain specifications define their standard types: Requirement, ChangeRequest, TestCase, etc. The most generic type would be the Architecture Management Domain's Resource. But OSLC Core is type agnostic, providing a means of discovering what services are available from a server on what vocabulary elements and how they are constrained.
Re: Simple OSLC spec? [message #1765102 is a reply to message #1765083] Tue, 06 June 2017 15:56 Go to previous message
Matt Stone is currently offline Matt StoneFriend
Thank you. Understood. The challenge I see here is consumers like DNG are looking for service providers in specific namespaces. I've created a OSLC provider that offers the oslc_config namespace...

oslc_config="http://open-services.net/ns/config#"

but DNG won't contact the provider to collect the serviceProviders when I attempt to create an "Association". Therefore DNG is unable to discover the capabilities in that namespace. Wouldn't the same then be true for other simple OSLC providers?

The only option I see is a bit of a hack. Create a provider with a rootservice doc that offers all the known OSLC namespaces and point all the serviceProviders rdf:resource URI's to the same serviceProvider and then serve up the capabilities of our choosing.

But then the there's more issues because the consumers like DNG aren't really discovering what resource shapes they're dealing with, they're making hard coded assumptions. So the hack still wouldn't work.

Any thoughts?
Previous Topic:How to link an DNG artifact to Bugzilla resource?
Next Topic:Dynamic @OslcDialog property editing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:48:06 GMT 2024