Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it)
Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1764015] Wed, 24 May 2017 04:05 Go to next message
Andrew Voelkel is currently offline Andrew VoelkelFriend
I've been generally very confused about how to set up build variables that are more global than project level, so that I can create platform independent projects.

I've noticed that the ARM indexer wants to use the ${COMMAND} variable for its gcc/g++ command when indexing, but it doesn't seem to work. In order to find out why, I'd like to know who is supposed to be defining ${COMMAND} and how I could find out its value in the project properties, but I can't figure out either.

Can someone help me?

Very confused ...

- Andy
Re: Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1764069 is a reply to message #1764015] Wed, 24 May 2017 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
It's usually the first entry of the Tool Settings tab (Project --> Properties --> C/C++ Build --> Settings) for each compiler.

Its value for the various Built-In providers used by te Indexer is fixed depending on the provider.
(Providers tab of Project --> Properties --> C/C++ General --> Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc.)
If it is incorrectly defined then replace ${COMMAND} in the compiler spec command.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 May 2017 14:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1764094 is a reply to message #1764069] Wed, 24 May 2017 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the info. I think it will solve my immediate problem!

Is there any way I could have known this by inspecting the project? In general, is there any documentation on the build variables produced and used within Eclipse? I've only found documentation on PROJECT_LOC and WORKSPACE_LOC, nothing about variables related to the toolchain or the myriad of other "system variables" which are displayed by checking the appropriate box. BTW, I don't see COMMAND in this system variables list, which is still confusing.
Re: Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1764095 is a reply to message #1764094] Wed, 24 May 2017 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the info. I think it will solve my immediate problem!

Is there any way I could have known this by inspecting the project? In general, is there any documentation on the build variables produced and used within Eclipse? I've only found documentation on PROJECT_LOC and WORKSPACE_LOC, nothing about variables related to the toolchain or the myriad of other "system variables" which are displayed by checking the appropriate box. BTW, I don't see COMMAND in this system variables list, which is still confusing.
Re: Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1764114 is a reply to message #1764095] Thu, 25 May 2017 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I don't know where it is documented.
I found it by experimentation.
Re: Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1764115 is a reply to message #1764114] Thu, 25 May 2017 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I don't know where it is documented.
I found it by experimentation.
Re: Where is ${COMMAND} defined (indexer uses it) [message #1844019 is a reply to message #1764015] Fri, 27 August 2021 15:10 Go to previous message
Gianluca Chiozzi is currently offline Gianluca ChiozziFriend
I am having a similar problem.
I am building using my own build chain, (not using make but waf), but I still want to use the indexer.
In this case I find that ${COMMAND} and ${FLAGS} are not set automatically and are for me undefined.
I did not find anything in
Tool Settings tab (Project --> Properties --> C/C++ Build --> Settings)
I can still hardcode "g++" as the compiler command instead of using ${COMMAND} and in this case everything works, but I would still much prefer to use the ${COMMAND} variable or at least to understand where it should be set.
Can anybody provide an explanation or a reference to documentation describing how this is supposed to work?
How can I properly setup different toolchains for the building of the project and for the indexer, so that they do not disturb each other?
Thanks for the help!!!
Previous Topic:Adding "wiringPi.h" C header - where / how ?
Next Topic:Help selecting cross-compile tutorial based on "eclipse for embedded "
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:10:15 GMT 2024