Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Can't setup JSP debugging in Neon.3 with tomcat8(JSP breakpoints in Neon.3 and tomcat8 don't work (windows-7 64 bit))
Can't setup JSP debugging in Neon.3 with tomcat8 [message #1763355] Sat, 13 May 2017 09:42 Go to next message
Hussayn Dabbous is currently offline Hussayn DabbousFriend
Short story: We are migrating from Luna to neon.3 but we can not get JSP breakpoints to work properly

long story:

- installed neon.3 and added jdk1.8.0_131 as default Java runtime
- cleaned the luna workspace by removing all eclipse control files (settings, profiles, etc)
- added the old luna workspace as workspace for neon
- imported the old projects into neon
- added a new tomcat server in eclipse
- Added 2 projects (using Add external web module)
- Configure "Use tomcat installation"
- Start server in Debug mode

The webapplications startup as usual, the applications run as expected, no errors so far.

- In the JSP Editor open an existing JSP
- Set some test breakpoints (inside java code parts)
- From a browser call the jsp

Result: The jsp runs, no Stop at breakpoints.

- in the Java Editor open a java file
- Set some breakpoints in the java file
- Run the very same JSP again

Result: The Java breakpoints are recognized, the Debugger opens up

- Click through the debugger until the java code is done and return to JSP

Result: Source not found

- Trying various folders, as lookup, including the tomcat work folder, but can't get any source to show up.

Here we are stuck. It worked before in Luna without any need to do special configuration for getting JSP's to work with the debugger.

How can i debug this further to figure out why JSP breakpoints are not recognized and why JSP Sources are not found ?

thanks for any tip on that.
Re: Can't setup JSP debugging in Neon.3 with tomcat8 [message #1763429 is a reply to message #1763355] Mon, 15 May 2017 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

As expected, it works when I try it, but I'm not using "external" modules. In which kind of module is the JSP file? When you open the Properties dialog for the file (from the Project or Package Explorer), what Type does it indicate?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Can't setup JSP debugging in Neon.3 with tomcat8 [message #1763492 is a reply to message #1763429] Tue, 16 May 2017 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
The "Add External Web Module" is for adding non-Eclipse web applications to the server. Since Tomcat is a Java application, it can still deal with breakpoints in Java code to some degree in spite of it being an "external" module. For JSP, the tie to Java code is indirect and breakpoints will not work unless the project is deployed to the server as a Dynamic Web Project, which Nitin has confirmed works.
Re: Can't setup JSP debugging in Neon.3 with tomcat8 [message #1763508 is a reply to message #1763492] Tue, 16 May 2017 19:15 Go to previous message
Hussayn Dabbous is currently offline Hussayn DabbousFriend
Hello, all;

Many thanks for your suggestions!
I am sorry for my late response.
But for some reason i got the permission to reply in the forums only since today.

Luckily i got it to work after i did following changes:

- Updated to tomact 8.5.15
- Configured the Server entry to "Use tomcat installation"
- Removed the JRE runtime libraries from the projects and added them back (using the default java-8 libraries)

- Take care to only set breakpoints into java parts in the jsp.
- Double checked that the facets "java" and "Dynamic Web Module" where enabled (they where active)

I do not know which of the changes (or combination of changes) actually brought things back to work. But everything plays nicely again. So this issue is solved!
I noticed the breakpoints at declaration statements like for example: int x = 0; are still ignored, but that's ok for me. Possibly it has always been like that, i just never noticed before (we do not need to debug jsp's often).

fyi: Our project started about 16 years ago as a java-1.2 project. We switched to eclipse around 2006 but we kept the initial project structure intact as it was running stable since 4 years by then. In the following 11 years up til today we have been happy users of the eclipse environment. Thanks for everybody who contributed to Eclipse over the years!

kind regards,
Hussayn
Previous Topic:Add a Language Tutorial
Next Topic:Server instance creation programmatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:58:25 GMT 2024