Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » Acceleo Documentation(Complete AQL documentation)
Acceleo Documentation [message #1761470] Thu, 11 May 2017 12:11 Go to next message
Geoffry Roberts is currently offline Geoffry RobertsFriend
All,

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive documentation for Acceleo? I need documentation on AQL in particular. I am getting the broad ideas but keep running afoul of some of the nitty gritty. I find myself faced with much trial and error.

I've Googled and keep coming up with things that are good as far as they go but are in the end a bit terse.

I need to generate bash, java, c++, xml, javascript from papyrus' uml.

I really need to generate entire eclipse projects code, scaffolding, and all but that is probably a bridge too far for Acceleo.

Thanks so much
Re: Acceleo Documentation [message #1761473 is a reply to message #1761470] Thu, 11 May 2017 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The Acceleo documentation can be found via Help->Contents. Acceleo extends the Classic Eclipse OCL. It has not been upgraded to exploit the additional capabilities of the Pivot-based Eclipse OCL.

AQL is something of a misnomer. It appears to be a redevelopment independent of Eclipse OCL. Consequently Acceleo and/or OCL documentation could be misleading. You need to read only something that explicitly claims to be AQL or explains how AQL refines whatever it is based on.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Acceleo Documentation [message #1761474 is a reply to message #1761473] Thu, 11 May 2017 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geoffry Roberts is currently offline Geoffry RobertsFriend
Thanks Ed.

I've read the Help. That's some of what I am labeling as terse.

Let me ask this of the community: How are you learning Acceleo? Do you find the aforementioned help sufficient? Are you getting significant things done or just piddling around?
Re: Acceleo Documentation [message #1761586 is a reply to message #1761474] Thu, 11 May 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You can also read the MOFM2T specification.

Acceleo is an M2T technology so its fairly easy to push debug print out into the generated output to see what is happening.

This is part of the typical Open Source contract, documentation is inadequate unless a community member provides it. But you get the sources so you can investigate properly and accurately. Sometimes you get helpful forum answers.

But ultimately I'm a Java tool developer so I dive in with the debugger when baffled. I reported a number of bugs. Some were fixed, some weren't. Since I was using Acceleo based on OCL to transform OCL, my use case confused the tooling, so I moved to Xtend (whose String Templates make it an M2T tool as just one of its many Java++ capabilities).

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Acceleo Documentation [message #1766147 is a reply to message #1761586] Fri, 16 June 2017 13:08 Go to previous message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi Geoffry,

AQL is the language used by Sirius, but not Acceleo, so the documentation on it will not apply to Acceleo. The help contents (that Ed pointed you to) and the wiki are the main entry points for Acceleo documentation. We tried to make the documentation extensive enough when we initially wrote it, but there might be issues now as we didn't always keep it up to date with latest developments. Do not hesitate to point out the erroneous/misleading information if any.

As for learning how to use the language, I'd say it'd be best to look at existing generators to see how they are written. The Eclipse UML Generators project had some good examples.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Previous Topic:Cross table
Next Topic:acceleo expression
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:07:54 GMT 2024