Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Dynamically loading plugin from another plugin
Dynamically loading plugin from another plugin [message #1761265] Tue, 09 May 2017 12:22 Go to next message
Arkadi Vinnik is currently offline Arkadi VinnikFriend
I need to load plugin from another plugin (loader). The plugin has menus defined in plugin.xml . When I load the plugin the first time it looks and works OK. When I load it the second time all UI items are present (from the loader and from the plugin) and UI is behaving in a strange way (some windows do not open, etc.). When I rename the plugin everything works fine again.
I need only loader UI to be present. I cannot figure out how to achieve it. It looks like something is cached, but I am not sure how to clear the cache automatically.

Any ideas?

Re: Dynamically loading plugin from another plugin [message #1761391 is a reply to message #1761265] Wed, 10 May 2017 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
What version of the Eclipse Platform are you running?

A big hammer is run with `-clearPersistedState`: that causes the E4 level to ignore the saved UI layouts.

Brian.
Re: Dynamically loading plugin from another plugin [message #1761413 is a reply to message #1761391] Wed, 10 May 2017 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arkadi Vinnik is currently offline Arkadi VinnikFriend
It needs to work on 3 last versions of Eclipse. I think I found a working solution:
in Activator of the loader (in stop and start callbacks) I unload the dynamically loaded plugin. Now all menus are gone and everything works fine.

This is unload code:
public static void UninstallPlugin()
{
Bundle plugin = Platform.getBundle("bb.aa.cc.dd");
if(plugin == null) return;
try {
Bundle bundle = plugin.getBundleContext().getBundle(0);
FrameworkWiring adapt = bundle.adapt(FrameworkWiring.class);

ExtensionRegistry registry = (ExtensionRegistry) Platform.getExtensionRegistry();
Field privateStringField = ExtensionRegistry.class.getDeclaredField("masterToken"); //$NON-NLS-1$
privateStringField.setAccessible(true);
Object masterToken = privateStringField.get(registry);

IContributor contributor = ContributorFactoryOSGi.createContributor(plugin);
IExtension[] points = registry.getExtensions(contributor);
for (IExtension point : points) {
point.getExtensionPointUniqueIdentifier();
Platform.getExtensionRegistry().removeExtension(point, masterToken);
}
adapt.refreshBundles(adapt.getRemovalPendingBundles());
plugin.uninstall();
Thread.sleep(5000);

//update menus
IWorkbenchWindow window = Workbench.getInstance().getActiveWorkbenchWindow();
MenuManager menuManager = ((WorkbenchWindow)window).getMenuManager();
//menuManager.update();
menuManager.updateAll(true);

}
catch (Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();
}
}
Re: Dynamically loading plugin from another plugin [message #1761828 is a reply to message #1761413] Thu, 11 May 2017 15:25 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
You should be able to use the OSGi-level APIs to load and unload the bundles directly, and the Extension Registry will react automatically. But you will still need to refresh the window menu manager (and be aware that you may have multiple windows and will need to update them all). The support for cleaning up from dynamically added or removed extension contributions is uneven and though much improved in Neon.
Previous Topic:Suddenly getting "Missing artifact com.sun:tools:jar:0" in Maven project
Next Topic:Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:11:32 GMT 2024