Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial(Blocking Issue while Learning Scout using the Online Tutorial)
Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1761136] Mon, 08 May 2017 02:32 Go to next message
Charl Erasmus is currently offline Charl ErasmusFriend
Hello Everyone,

The login screen does not allow me access, in trying to complete the steps in the Eclipsescout.github.io 6.0 Beginners Guide section on deploying on Tomcat.

I have completed all sections up until the deployment on Tomcat, but cannot proceed past the login. I did manage to view the UI in the development mode after starting the backend and frontend from Eclipse.

I did some further investigation and found the following error in the com.xxx.xxx.xxx.html.ui.log file:

2017-05-08 00:00:07,604 ERROR [scout-thread-27] org.eclipse.scout.rt.client.clientnotification.ClientNotificationPoller - Error receiving client notifications - MDC[principal=notification-authenticator, jobName=ClientNotificationPoller]
org.eclipse.scout.rt.platform.exception.PlatformException: Connection refused: connect [translator=org.eclipse.scout.rt.platform.exception.DefaultRuntimeExceptionTranslator, user=notification-authenticator, calling-thread=scout-thread-27

Please give me a pointer in how I can resolve the issue or suggestions on how I can further investigate the cause. I am really new to Scout and have spent some time trying to figure this out already, but I have reached a roadblock.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Charl
Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1761190 is a reply to message #1761136] Mon, 08 May 2017 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beat Schwarzentrub is currently offline Beat SchwarzentrubFriend
Are you using the correct value for the scout.server.url property?
"Connection refused" sounds like the UI server cannot connect to the backend server.
Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1761197 is a reply to message #1761190] Mon, 08 May 2017 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think so, yes. I have created the project twice and the same result. The tutorial states to use the following settings:

### Environment
scout.dev.mode=true
scout.auth.cookie.session.validate.secure=false

### Service tunnel
scout.server.url=http://localhost:8080
Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1761272 is a reply to message #1761197] Tue, 09 May 2017 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charl,

This looks correct, but the message "Connection refused" is quite conclusive. I just created a Scout hello world application with Neon.3 and did not notice any problems. Did you start the server with "-Dscout.jetty.port=8080"?

Maybe you can post the full log files of both the backend and the UI server?

Regards,
Beat
Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1761324 is a reply to message #1761272] Tue, 09 May 2017 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Beat,

Thank you for the reply.

I see your point that it is quite conclusive. I am trying to improve my skills, so I do not have extensive knowledge to make sense out of the details of the error, even though the error message is straightforward. I am open to suggestions on how to go and do more studying since I do mind doing the studying needed.

I followed the steps in https://eclipsescout.github.io/6.0/beginners-guide.html#sec-helloworld_deploy and I think it does not mention the -Dscout.jetty.port=8080 switch.

I have installed TomCat using the Bitnami installation? Should I rather do a TomCat install using the downloads from the apache website?

The current log file is attached, but it is lengthy since I have played around alot.

Cheers,
Charl

[Updated on: Tue, 09 May 2017 20:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1761350 is a reply to message #1761324] Wed, 10 May 2017 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charl,

Charl Erasmus wrote on Tue, 09 May 2017 13:32
I followed the steps in https://eclipsescout.github.io/6.0/beginners-guide.html#sec-helloworld_deploy and I think it does not mention the -Dscout.jetty.port=8080 switch.

I have installed TomCat using the Bitnami installation? Should I rather do a TomCat install using the downloads from the apache website?

Oh dear, somehow I misunderstood your post and thought you were referring to the development instance (that you start from inside eclipse) that indeed launches a tiny Jetty server. But you are talking about a deployment in Tomcat, and it's even in the post's subject... Rolling Eyes Sorry, my mistake!

Deploying in Tomcat does not require any special system properties. Both the UI server and the backend server servlets will be available at the same port. This port is configured in Tomcats conf/server.xml file. The default is 8080.

Quote:

The current log file is attached, but it is lengthy since I have played around alot.

Thank you. This is only the log file of the UI server, so I can only guess what's wrong. It is quite clear to me that the UI server cannot connect to the backend via HTTP service tunnel. Unfortunately, it does not print out the backend URL, so you have to check that by yourself.

Here is how the setup should look like:

You should have two WAR files:

• $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/your.project.ui.html.war
  • $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/your.project.server.war

The two deployments are available at:

You have to put the backend server's URL in the UI server's config.properties file. So check this file: $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/your-project.ui.html/WEB-INF/classes/config.properties

### Service tunnel
scout.server.url=http://localhost:8080/your.project.server

You should also check the contents of the backend server's logfile for any errors. If the Scout platform cannot be started because of some problem, it will not be reachable by the UI server.

Regards,
Beat
Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1763276 is a reply to message #1761350] Fri, 12 May 2017 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Beat,

Thank you for the honest and frank reply Smile

I will review the information and attempt again to make it work.

It is really mush appreciated into how much effort you put into this. I will give you feedback as soon as I have results.

Best Regards,
Charl
Re: Deploy Scout on Tomcat using the Tutorial [message #1763361 is a reply to message #1763276] Sat, 13 May 2017 13:41 Go to previous message
Hi Beat,

I finally resorted to creating a VM on Azure and repeating the steps for the n-th time ... Lost track how many times Smile Practice makes perfect right?

The application now opens and I can see the same page as seen when opening it with the Jetty server. Let the fun begin !

Thank you very much to everyone who responded.

Cheers,
Charl

[Updated on: Mon, 15 May 2017 10:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Table Right Mouse Click Event: execRowClick doesn't work
Next Topic:[neon] ProcessButton positioning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:33:04 GMT 2024