Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit"
Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" [message #1760624] Fri, 28 April 2017 23:44 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Running Neon.3 on Win7.

This has been working reasonably well for a while. About an hour ago I tried to switch to a different task, which usually takes a few seconds to do. This time, it chugged for a while, showed the rotating circle cursor, and then greyed out the background. I let this sit for a while until I finally gave up and killed the process.

I then tried to start up again, and the splash screen got to "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" and then didn't go any further. My CPU got to about 12% and just stayed there.

So, after waiting a few minutes for it to advance past this, I killed the process again. Still no progress past this point.

I've tried running with "-clean". I've tried rebooting.

I then noticed this note: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/823236/ .

Deleting the ".*Lock" files made no difference.

I then tried to delete the ".fileTable*" files, first saving them in a tar file. This was even worse. The splash screen never even showed the progress bar, and was spinning up to 70% of the CPU for a long time.

Unfortunately, while doing this I accidentally deleted the tar file containing the saved copies of the ".fileTable*" files.

At this point I figured my installation was completely hosed, so I ran the installer and installed Eclipse again. I started it up specifying the workspace I was using. SAME RESULT. I killed the process again.

Finally, I restarted Eclipse again, specifying a new workspace. That worked. Now to reinstall all my bloody plugins and reopen all my bloody projects. What a mess.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 April 2017 23:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" [message #1760626 is a reply to message #1760624] Sat, 29 April 2017 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, I've had it happen that restoring editors during startup with a non-empty workspace (that had editors open on shutdown) fails to start. The bundle shown in the progress is not always indicative of what is causing the hang; it certainly doesn't tell you what editor is involved. The information about the open editors and the overall state of your perspectives is stored in <workspace>/ .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi. If I have this problem (it happened once a few months ago in a workspace that to me was very valuable and would be hard to reconstruct), I did some Googling to find out that deleting this file would help restore the workbench UI to a pristine state while preserving that actual contents of the workspace. I just had to change my perspective layouts again.

Of course if would be nice if there were a command line option for saying to ignore the workbench state file. But one would still have to discover that as well. But at least if you found the -clean you'd likely have discovered another such option, e.g., -cleanworkbench.

I hope this helps you in the future. I empathize with the associated frustration!

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" [message #1760628 is a reply to message #1760626] Sat, 29 April 2017 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've now had the exact same symptom twice today, and the second time was with a new Eclipse installation, with a new workspace. I did realize the one thing that I did before each of those restarts, which I have never done before today, which is install the "JDepend4Eclipse" plugin. I find it hard to believe installing something like this could cause a symptom like that, but I've never tried to install that before today, and I did that just before each of the restarts that hung up like this. I've now been running (and restarting a couple of times) without incident for a few hours now (and I haven't installed that plugin again).
Re: Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" [message #1760634 is a reply to message #1760628] Sat, 29 April 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Perhaps you can use this to figure out what's deadlocked if that's indeed the root problem: https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" [message #1760649 is a reply to message #1760634] Sun, 30 April 2017 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I eventually found that it technically is not a deadlock, it just takes a very long time to complete and bring up the main window. I've seen it sit there for more than 10 minutes a few times now. Windows even decided to put up the "<process name> isn't responding" dialog before it completed. I've filed the following for this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515977 .
Re: Eclipse startup hung forever at "Loading org.eclipse.emf.edit" [message #1761855 is a reply to message #1760649] Thu, 11 May 2017 15:37 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
You can run with `-clearPersistedState` to ignore the `workbench.xmi`
Previous Topic:Dynamically loading plugin from another plugin
Next Topic:How to safely clean up huge files in .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.m2e.core/nexus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:57:36 GMT 2024