Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites
Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760455] Thu, 27 April 2017 13:19 Go to next message
David Hofmann is currently offline David HofmannFriend
Hi,

I created several custom products, which use the P2 Task to install features from various P2 repositories. Is it possible to add these repositories in the installed eclipse product?

They should be available at Preferences -> Install/Update -> Available Software Sites. The goal is that users can simply click Check for Updates in order to receive new versions of the software.
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760457 is a reply to message #1760455] Thu, 27 April 2017 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel Hegedus is currently offline Abel HegedusFriend
As far as I know they are added there by default if the P2 task that defines them has been executed at least once.
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760458 is a reply to message #1760457] Thu, 27 April 2017 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is not the case for me. All of my P2 repositories are required during the installation, but none is listed under available software sites.
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760465 is a reply to message #1760458] Thu, 27 April 2017 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I think we intentionally do not add them... And they're stored in a strange place in the preference tree, i.e., as a profile preference with a path like this /profile/file:\2fD:\2feclipse\2feclipse-oomph-p2-agent\2f/_SELF_/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository/repositories/http:__bogus when I tried to add a "bogus" entry so it's not easy to write a preference task because the segments of the path depend on where your (shared) agent is located. I suppose we could populate a variable with the needed value for that segment so that it would be possible to write a preference task...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760466 is a reply to message #1760465] Thu, 27 April 2017 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This would be great, Ed! Please let me know whether I should create a bugzilla or similar.

An alternative would be to use a P2 Touchpoint. As far as I know, I would have to create a dummy plugin with a p2.inf file which is quite circumstantial, or do you know any other alternatives to add an update site?
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760474 is a reply to message #1760466] Thu, 27 April 2017 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, please open a Bugzilla. I wonder why you need this though: any updates can be accomplished just by using Perform Setup Tasks... instead of check for updates...

Ed Merks
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760535 is a reply to message #1760474] Fri, 28 April 2017 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
of course the initial installation can be accomplished using P2 tasks, but what about any following updates of the software? Customers should be able to receive these by simply clicking "check for updates". Or is there another / more elegant way for future updates of the installed product?
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760538 is a reply to message #1760535] Fri, 28 April 2017 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel Hegedus is currently offline Abel HegedusFriend
David Hofmann wrote on Fri, 28 April 2017 07:38
Or is there another / more elegant way for future updates of the installed product?

Ed Merks wrote
Any updates can be accomplished just by using Perform Setup Tasks... instead of check for updates...

In more detail, if users select Help -> Perform Setup Tasks (just above the Check for Updates) and complete the wizard, the P2 task will execute and all updates will be installed. Even better, only updates that are valid regards to your setup (defined by version ranges) will be updated. Furthermore, they will perform any other Setup tasks that may have changed and get an environment that is current in all aspects (e.g. Modular Targlet, imported projects, working sets, etc.)
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760542 is a reply to message #1760538] Fri, 28 April 2017 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much for this hint. I was not aware of this option. I will test if this mechanism works as expected for my use case.
icon14.gif  Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760574 is a reply to message #1760542] Fri, 28 April 2017 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After some testing, I noticed that when I install the Oomph Setup Feature (org.eclipse.oomph.setup.feature.group) from ${oomph.update.url} into my product, all P2 Repositories I use in my installation are magically added to the available software sites Smile This solves the issue for me, as long this mechanism is consistently executed.
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1760576 is a reply to message #1760574] Fri, 28 April 2017 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a bug, but if no one complains.... Razz

Ed Merks
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1771039 is a reply to message #1760455] Mon, 21 August 2017 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mats Paulsen is currently offline Mats PaulsenFriend
I would be the one complaining then :)

Even though I'm only using internal repositories in my setup it keeps adding the external oxygen repositories for me. They end up under Available Software Sites. And by external I mean "http://download.eclipse.org/releases/oxygen" and "http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.7".

I know I can, and I have, disable the automatic updates but unfortunately this does not hinder our users from manually running "Check for updates", This will potentially downlaod and install the latest software from the external oxygen repositories.

I would like to make sure there are only internal repositories available or completely disable the p2 update functionallity.

How am I supposed to solve this?
Re: Add Repositories from P2 Task to Available Software Sites [message #1771071 is a reply to message #1771039] Mon, 21 August 2017 16:30 Go to previous message
I imagine some of these things are discovery URLs from the things that have been installed; certainly the product catalog makes no mentioned of Eclipse 4.7 update site for the most of the packages so that's not coming from purely an Oomph installation.

In any case, I don't know of anything you can do to completely disable updates.

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:How to stop Eclipse Ini Task eclipse.ini.vm.xmx -Xmx1024m
Next Topic:Filtering setup file 'requirement' by Eclipse release (Neon/4.6)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:40:04 GMT 2024