Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Using maven to generate 'generated'?
Using maven to generate 'generated'? [message #1760225] Mon, 24 April 2017 18:57 Go to next message
R. van Twisk is currently offline R. van TwiskFriend
Hey All,

I am trying to see if Scout is something for us to make Web based Applications.
As I am currently following the beginners tutorial I keep finding myself that classes in 'generated' are not filled in.
What I try to do is using the Scout SDK to make for example a Form, for example an PersonForm.

I see that Scout SDK generates a few classes. After that I move over to IntelliJ Idea to keep working on the project. But as I continue following the tutorial and run the project using maven I don't see the generated beeing modified.
I had to copy PersonTablePageData from omne of the document's to keep going, but now I see the same thing happening with PersonFormData.

Is there a maven plugin that will updated this for me?

if you wonder 'Why not use Eclipse?' It's unusable slow on OS/X and after so many user's I am just used to Idea.

Update: I just noticed that essentially this question was asked here https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1753441/?srch=Intellij#msg_1753441

Regards,
Ries

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2017 19:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using maven to generate 'generated'? [message #1760239 is a reply to message #1760225] Tue, 25 April 2017 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
I have already written about IntelliJ support.

Jeremie Bresson wrote on Tue, 08 December 2015 14:08

Now that running a Scout Application do not requires Equinox/OSGi we theoretically do not depend on Eclipse Tooling anymore (no PDE, no Tycho and so on).
If you take the Hello-World example: it is a plain java application, the dependencies between the modules are defined in the maven pom. I did not try it, but you should be able to start and edit it from any Java IDE.

For each feature we build with neon, we try to be IDE agnostic. Here some examples:
* FormData generation is a simple java program, that now is integrated in Eclipse IDE (when a form class changes, the FormData class needs to be regenerated) but that could be integrated elsewhere.
* If I am not mistaken, the "New Scout Application" wizard now relies on maven archetype (you could use it from the command line).

That said, having a good development experience with an IDE goes behind the runtime and the build system. My personal opinion is that "supporting IntelliJ" is again a question of sponsorship. Who is willing to invest time and/or money in Tooling for IntelliJ?
To my current knowledge BSI is evaluating how much tooling for Eclipse IDE is requested to work efficiently with the Eclipse Scout framework (first motivation is that BSI employees are efficient when they work on Scout application projects). BSI has no plan to invest in other IDE Tooling.
The important message is: the door is not closed, but someone has to invest this feature to make it happen.

The same apply for another Build system (like gradle instead of maven).
Of course if someone starts something, we will be happy to help, but we do not have any plan at the moment.
Re: Using maven to generate 'generated'? [message #1760447 is a reply to message #1760239] Thu, 27 April 2017 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Jeremie,

thank you for your answer.
Having played with it now for a few day's I think I don't need the generators in Eclipse. I just played around with the Spring boot example applications and I could very easy mock my own DB service to it and show my tables, all very simple still...

I have a question though,
why does the example use a client/server setup? Looking at the spring boot example it's not a requirement to have a client/server. Are there any advantages?

Kind Regards,
Ries
Re: Using maven to generate 'generated'? [message #1760603 is a reply to message #1760447] Fri, 28 April 2017 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
R. van Twisk wrote on Thu, 27 April 2017 14:18
Having played with it now for a few day's I think I don't need the generators in Eclipse. I just played around with the Spring boot example applications and I could very easy mock my own DB service to it and show my tables, all very simple still...

Nice to see that this approach is working for you. This is true, the FormData generation are not needed if you only want the presentation part with a Spring Backend. See:

* ScoutBoot (SpringBoot and Scout): https://github.com/BSI-Business-Systems-Integration-AG/ScoutBoot
* An example application: https://github.com/BSI-Business-Systems-Integration-AG/ScoutBoot-Tasks

See also this thread: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1085533/

If you are interested, In order not to depend on SNAPSHOT version for the "Scout RT" and the "Scout + SpringBoot" integration, I have build a "7.0.0.alpha1" version and I have pushed it on a maven repository on bintray:
https://dl.bintray.com/jmini/democamp-2017/
Soon a 7.0.0 Milestone release will be pushed to maven central (as part of the Eclipse Oxygen Release Train process). We need to figure out what we will do for the "SpringBoot" Part.

R. van Twisk wrote on Thu, 27 April 2017 14:18

I have a question though,
why does the example use a client/server setup? Looking at the spring boot example it's not a requirement to have a client/server. Are there any advantages?

I think I can give 2 answers to this question:
The first is historical. Few years ago, the Scout approach was to propose a fat client (swing/swt) with a server. When you deploy a UI-Server and a Backend-Server, the Backend-Server is almost the same as previously. The UI-Server is translating the Client state into a JSON representation that is handled by the JavaScript Client.

The second is operational: in the project I am involved in, we have 4 Frontend Server and 2 Backend Server. The Frontend Servers store a lot of State. The Backend Servers are almost Stateless.
Re: Using maven to generate 'generated'? [message #1760743 is a reply to message #1760603] Tue, 02 May 2017 14:21 Go to previous message
thank's for your answers Jeremie,

Kind Regards,
Ries
Previous Topic:[neon] FormData creation using maven build
Next Topic:Re-visiting dynamic forms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:29:12 GMT 2024