Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Git not showing up as an option
Git not showing up as an option [message #1759843] Wed, 19 April 2017 03:56 Go to next message
Chris Kottaridis is currently offline Chris KottaridisFriend
Newcomers forum referred me here.

Just starting to use Eclipse and have a git repository on the host. I want to create a new project from the git repository by cloning the git repository into a new directory for the project.

I am running in Fedora 25 using Eclipse neon.2

All the instructions seem to say to use Import:
"File -> Import -> Git -> Projects from Git"

But Git doesn't show up as an option????

Git doesn't show up in Preferences->Team either.

I have CVS and SVN and a slew of other that show up just not Git

Here is what I have installed:

Eclipse GutHub integration with task focused interface
Eclipse Platform
EMF - Eclipse Modeling Framework Base Runtime
Git Integration for Eclipse
Git Integration for Eclipse - Gitflow support
Git Integration for Eclipse - Task focused interface
Model comparison (EMF Compare) - EGit support
Mylyn Versions Connector: Git

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Chris K

[Updated on: Wed, 19 April 2017 03:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Git not showing up as an option [message #1759851 is a reply to message #1759843] Wed, 19 April 2017 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Have you tried opening the Git perspective (via the control for that in the upper right of the window)? Are there any clones there? You can either add your existing clone or clone from the remote repository. Once the clone is there, you can use its context menu to import projects from it.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Git not showing up as an option [message #1759916 is a reply to message #1759851] Wed, 19 April 2017 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting.

On my machine at work where I got the list of what's installed in the first post, when I go to Open perspective Git doesn't show up there.

I had a machine at home also running Fedora 25 and loaded the git packages and when I go to Open Perspective on that machine Git is there and when I pick it, it seems like "good stuff happens". Didn't look too closely because I figured I'd be able to do the same thing at my work machine. But alas here at work Git is not an option in Open Perspective.

Thanks
Chris K
Re: Git not showing up as an option [message #1759933 is a reply to message #1759916] Thu, 20 April 2017 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you're affected by the EGit broken after update. I.e., it seems with Neon.3 updates, sometimes EGit isn't working. There will be errors the the Error Log in this case.

Ed Merks
Re: Git not showing up as an option [message #1759962 is a reply to message #1759933] Thu, 20 April 2017 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll take a look when I get into the office.

I updated my Fedora 25 packages and apparently Egit got updated to neon 3. It reloaded the packages mentioned in the first entry since an upgrade was done when I brought Eclipse up. But still no Git option in perspective. So, I uninstalled all eclipse packages and reinstalled them and have neon.3 now but still no Git option.

On my machine at home I did a Fedora 25 package update and fired up eclipse and it is now running neon.3 and it reloaded all the git packages mentioned in the first entry and it DOES show Git in the perspective.

I'll look for errors when I get into the office. My guess is it's something simple staring me in the face that I just don't see, or maybe thats just my hope.

Thanks
Chris K
Re: Git not showing up as an option [message #1759989 is a reply to message #1759962] Thu, 20 April 2017 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked at the errors and they complained with Framework Event ERROR for the git packages about Unresolved requirement. So, I loaded some packages from Fedora's package manager that I thought could have an impact.

That didn't seem to help.

I then removed my user's workspace directory and .eclipse directory and started Eclipse again.

Now git shows up in the Perspective list. Yay!!!

I don't know if I needed to add any more packages or to just clear out the user specific info in workspace and .eclipse. Since I am just starting there is no harm in clearing these out.

At any rate I am moving forward.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
Chris K
Re: Git not showing up as an option [message #1760003 is a reply to message #1759989] Fri, 21 April 2017 06:56 Go to previous message
Where is your installation located? Is it read-only? Your comments about deleting the .eclipse folder suggests there was a surrogate installation in this folder, suggesting the "real" installation is read-only. Perhaps the surrogate was updated to Neon.3 and that caused the problem...

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:clone all repositories
Next Topic:Using JGit in multi threaded content management system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:46:53 GMT 2024