Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Lack of classic text editor macros(Is it possible to have classic text editor macros.)
Lack of classic text editor macros [message #1759755] Tue, 18 April 2017 08:46 Go to next message
Miquel Sas is currently offline Miquel SasFriend
I'm a developer from the early 80's, starting with assembler and C, and old text editors had a macro feature for repetitive tasks, specially writing tasks, and I don't find the way to do it in modern development environtments like Eclipse, although those macros where very useful and saved a lot of time.

I understand that modern editors make a lot of things, like parsing, incremental compiling, coloring, etc, and all this stuff is not compatible with text macros. Perhaps this is the reason why I don't find the way to install one.

But I'd like to suggest that that disabling any other stuff than just writing during the macro execution would be a simple way to implement it.

Anyone knows the way to install a macro text feature?

Thanks
Miquel
Re: Lack of classic text editor macros [message #1759805 is a reply to message #1759755] Tue, 18 April 2017 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linus Sch is currently offline Linus SchFriend
If you are a Vim user there is something called eclim which can integrate Eclipse and Vim in various ways. I'm about to install it myself and can report on whether it works as expected, giving me access to the very powerful UltiSnips, in a couple of days. Searching for "macros", "snippets" and "external editor" in the Eclipse Marketplace (which you'll find in the help menu) gives a number of alternatives.

I'm a newcomer to Eclipse and I do not know for sure if there is any built-in support for a similar feature. But Google pointed me to stackoverflow which said this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/103202/is-there-a-macro-recorder-for-eclipse - so I guess not.
Re: Lack of classic text editor macros [message #1759813 is a reply to message #1759755] Tue, 18 April 2017 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What, exactly, do you mean by a macro? There may already be other ways to do what you're trying to do.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Lack of classic text editor macros [message #1759915 is a reply to message #1759813] Wed, 19 April 2017 21:33 Go to previous message
Linus Sch is currently offline Linus SchFriend
I was able to install eclim. This was not easy (install instructions missed the italicized parts of points 2 and 3 below), but the merger of Eclipse and Vim is extremely powerful and highly recommended - for Vim users. The resulting system does both the old school macro stuff and the new fancy stuff. However, if you are not a Vim user, I do not recommend trying to learn Vim and Eclipse at the same time.

To install eclim v.2.6.0 you need:
1. build-essential
The installer needs to build the interface executable.

2. Java 1.7 or 1.8, as required by your chosen version of Eclipse, as your default JRE
The installer somehow runs Eclipse (or parts of it) without regard for what your eclipse.ini file says about what vm to use. Make sure that when you run
java -version
in a random terminal you get the version number needed by Eclipse. Also note that gcj (as of July 2016) is likely to cause problems.

3. Eclipse Neon, also known as 4.6.x, tarball/zip version
It turns out the Eclipse installer creates a different file structure than the "old" way, which is to download a compressed folder and just unpack it where you see fit. eclim currently does not support the file structure created by the installer. To find the tarball/zip version of Eclipse look for "Download packages".

4. Vim, version 7.1 or later
If you want to run your editor inside Eclipse you'll need GVim. It is also possible to run Vim from a terminal and connect to Eclipse.

With all those in place just run the eclim installer and point it at your Vim and Eclipse install folders. If using pathogen.vim, creating bundle/eclim and pointing the eclim installer to that folder worked perfectly.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Error on start - "Failed to find main class in C:\Users\.../org.eclipse.equinox.launche
Next Topic:Fatal crash - Only works after reboot - EXCEPTION_FLT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:54:14 GMT 2024