Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install
Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install [message #1759445] Tue, 11 April 2017 17:55 Go to next message
Stuart Websper is currently offline Stuart WebsperFriend
Hi,

I am trying to use oomph to share/synchronise preferences across our developers.

However, we have the complication that eclipse is installed to a common area ("/opt" directory) so that it can be accessed by multiple users. I, however, have not been able to get the Setup Project Model to work under this configuration.

Essentially, I run the oomph installer as sudo and then in Advanced mode drag my setup file onto the eclipse.org top node and enable it. When the install completes, it is only when I also run eclipse as root that the setup file seems to be associated with the install.

When another user runs the eclipse instance, the .eclipse directory that is created has no reference to my project setup file. I was expecting it to appear in .eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/setups/org.eclipse.projects.setup

Even if I copy the relevant line from the root version of org.eclipse.projects.setup to the user's version of the file I cannot get it to use the setup file. Clicking on Navigate->Open Setup only shows the default user/installation/workspace setup files.

Am I using oomph correctly, or is there an alternative way of solving this issue?

Thanks in advance

Re: Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install [message #1759536 is a reply to message #1759445] Wed, 12 April 2017 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I see. What you'll notice is that the installation's reference to the product version that's selected is stored in <installation>/configuration/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/installation.setup and the workspace's references to the product streams are stored in <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/workspace.setup. So yes, I imagine that when a read-only installation is used, a pseduo installation with a configuration folder is created in ~/.eclipse/<product-hash-code>/configuration and of course that folder will be empty. It would be smarter if we handled this case by copying the installation.setup from the read-only shared installation to the modifiable pseudo installation. You could try this manually to see if that would do the trick, and open a Bugzilla that we do this automatically (but please try it manually to confirm that's the only problem). Of course this only applies for the installation's reference to the product version. A workspace of course cannot be shared, so I'm not sure how Project (verses Product) models are involved.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install [message #1764983 is a reply to message #1759536] Mon, 05 June 2017 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for the previous reply. Sorry I haven't got back to you earlier but I was taken off my current project for a while.

Anyway I had a look at your answer and it seems I already have the installation.setup file moved to the psuedo installation directory, so I am not sure this is the answer.

Now, I am afraid the whole oomph implementation is way over my head, So maybe I should go back over my requirements.

Basically , in the past we have used workspace mechanic plugin,but it seems that oomph is the modern way of handling the synchronisation of preferences

Basically, when a user starts an instance of the shared install eclipse, I want each user to be able to pick up the common configuration setup (a file in our source code repository) and it to be applicable for all workspaces created for that install. Essentially, what the file user.home/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/setups/user.setup currently achieves, but for a specified path in my source checkout.

In the shared install case, the .eclipse and workspace folders are obviously created on the first execution of eclipse by the user. I was therefore hoping I could get oomph to somehow update the users instance of these folders to pick up the shared configuration at initialisation.

However, following the "Setup Project Model" workflow does not work for this use case as indicated in my first post. It only works for a private install where there is a single user.

Is there anyway I can get oomph to achieve my current objectives? Obviously I could change user.home/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/setups/user.setup for each user to be a symbolic link to the file in the repository checkout, but it feels like there should be a much more elegant way to achieve this built into oomph.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install [message #1765046 is a reply to message #1764983] Tue, 06 June 2017 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mention "I already have the installation.setup file moved" but what makes you think it's moved/copied rather than a demand-created new instance different from the one in the read-only installation? I.e., does it have a reference to the product version that you referenced when creating the shared installation?

A shared Oomph setup for a shared installation as you you're describing would be best (and most easily achieved) if Oomph would copy the installation.setup from the shared read-only part installation to the pseudo installationt. That's why I suggested you try that and open a Bugzilla. And if you'd done that,the feature would be there now. But now we're in the release candidate phase of development, so no it will take longer to add.

Ed Merks
Re: Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install [message #1765063 is a reply to message #1765046] Tue, 06 June 2017 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I check the two installation.setup files with a diff tool they are identical.

Basically I have the following two paths for the configuration files:

1) My read only install area (Created by running the oomph installer as sudo)
/opt/eclipse2/myproject-master/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/installation.setup

2) My user area created when I run eclipse for the first time.
~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.6.2_438484297_linux_gtk_x86_64/configuration/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/installation.setup

The contents of both installation files are as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<setup:Installation
xmi:version="2.0"
xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI"
xmlns:setup="http://www.eclipse.org/oomph/setup/1.0"
name="installation">
<productVersion
href="index:/org.eclipse.setup#//@productCatalogs[name='org.eclipse.products']/@products[name='epp.package.java']/@versions[name='neon']"/>
</setup:Installation>

However, if I run eclipse as sudo and select the workspace created at install time, i.e.:
/opt/eclipse2/myproject-master/ws
only then do I see my project setup model when I click on Navigate->Open Setup in eclipse.

NOTE: If I create a new workspace running as the sudo user then i also lose the link to my project setup model.
Re: Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install [message #1765075 is a reply to message #1765063] Tue, 06 June 2017 12:07 Go to previous message
I see. It looks like the copying was already implemented by 469279 some time ago.

So then if you define your own product (not project) catalog with your own product definitions with your own preference tasks you can centrally control all the preferences used by the shared installation and by any pseudo installation that uses it (because all will reference that one product version definition that you centrally control).

We've talked about defining some kind of "product extensions" that could also be referenced by the installation.setup so that you won't need to copy an existing product definition to create your own specialized one that just "extends" it with addition tasks. But that's not yet implemented. :-(

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Failure when installing Eclipse Modeling tools (updated)
Next Topic:How to disable the Preference Recorder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:26:04 GMT 2024