Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OM2M » Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases (Discuss new features and track implementations)
icon3.gif  Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759285] Sun, 09 April 2017 23:45 Go to next message
Mahdi Ben Alaya is currently offline Mahdi Ben AlayaFriend
Hi folks,

I created this topic to collect information about the new features you want to see in the next releases of Eclipse OM2M and then follow and discuss together implementations of identified features on bugzilla.

oneM2M is a great standard but pretty huge, we need your ideas and contributions to progress quickly, ensure the quality and meet the requirements to allow for a successful project.

Your comments are more than welcome.

Mahdi
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759398 is a reply to message #1759285] Tue, 11 April 2017 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Initial key requirements and prioritaires for the roadmap includes:

• (P1) Flex Container (See Bug 498374 ) -> OM2M v1.1
  • (P1) Smart Device Template (SDT) (See Bug 498387 ) -> OM2M v1.1
  • (P1) MQTT communication binding -> OM2M v1.1
  • (P2) New device interworking extensions like Alljoyn, OCF, LWM2M, Zwave, Enocean, Hue, NB-IoT, etc.
  • (P2) New resources and procedures like TimesSeries, Service Charging and Accounting, Resource Annouvement and Semantic discovery
  • (P1) Enhancement of the current developer web interface to support CRUD requests, debugging console, etc.
  • (P2) New end user web interface for better user experience including administration, charts, etc.
  • (P3) New communication bindings like Websocket, DDS, etc.
  • (P3) Support optimized content formats like CBOR serialization.
  • (P3) OSGi service layer API binding and information model mapping.
  • (P2) Connectors to Eclipse IoT projects like Eclipse Smarthome and Kura.
  • (P1) Security procedures (Authentication using TLS and PSK)
  • (P1) Scalability and performance.
  • (P1) Conformance with the upcoming oneM2M release 3
  • Other ?

Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759399 is a reply to message #1759398] Tue, 11 April 2017 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jiaxin Yin is currently offline Jiaxin YinFriend
In oneM2M R3, interworking will be one of the major deliverable. Among them two topics will be of the most interest and may be worthwhile to OM2M.
One of them is OSGi interworking which is to enable any OSGi based device be interconnectable with oneM2M platform.
The other is Proximal IoT interworking which provides the general framework on how to represent a device in oneM2M resource structure.

Huawei is very interested in collaborating with everyone in the project to make OM2M support this two new features as well as all the other enhancements of the OM2M project.

I brief self introduction, I'm Jiaxin(Jason) Yin from Huawei. Now is the vice chair of TST WG in oneM2M.
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759567 is a reply to message #1759399] Thu, 13 April 2017 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jiaxin,

Thank you for your interest to the project. Happy to hear from you.

The two proposed ideas: OSGi and Proximal IoT interworking looks good for me.

I will start two tickets on Bugzilla to initiate the discussion on these specific features (design and implementation)

In addition, I will publish soon a tutorial on our wiki to explain how to contribute code to the projet using Git and Gerrit.

Mahdi

Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759572 is a reply to message #1759285] Thu, 13 April 2017 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ramakrishnan Bala is currently offline Ramakrishnan BalaFriend
Can you please consider the following security features?

Token based authentication like oAuth2.
Security procedures (Authentication using TLS and PSK)
Handling of SSL certificates.
Data messages needs to be encrypted using RSA and AES

Also support for nosql database like mongodb. If it is already supported can you please share the steps to configure?
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759587 is a reply to message #1759572] Thu, 13 April 2017 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ramakrishnan

Thank you for your comment.

Token based authentication like oAuth2 is cool feature however I need to check if it is compliant with oneM2M security mechanisms.

Regarding TLS, Cer, RSA and AES, OM2M relies on Jetty server for the HTTP binding which support TLS.
Check the additional parameters you need to add in the configuration in the following topics:
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1065938/
We will add these details on the wiki to make it more visible for the community.

OM2M relies on EclipseLink for the java persistence API which already support NoSQL database.
https://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/NoSQL
But we need to clarify this aspect with some tutorials and improvements on the code to make it simpler.

I will open 2 threads on Bugzilla one dedicated for security and one for NoSQL database.

Regards,
Mahdi

Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759623 is a reply to message #1759567] Fri, 14 April 2017 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jiaxin Yin is currently offline Jiaxin YinFriend
Yes, that will be very helpful to us.
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1759824 is a reply to message #1759623] Tue, 18 April 2017 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thierry Monteil is currently offline Thierry MonteilFriend
Dear all,

I propose to continue to list interesting features for OM2M until end of April then we can build a first full list. Feel free to suggest anything even outside the scope of the OneM2M standard (from now). After we can continue to discuss and everybody can
propose his own ranking list and possibily argue for his top 5 for example. Then we can try to work together on the more popular features.
You will find below a proposition of classification just to help.

1-Resources:
- 1.1 Flex Container (See Bug 498374 ) -> OM2M v1.1
- 1.2 Smart Device Template (SDT) (See Bug 498387 ) -> OM2M v1.1
- 1.3 TimesSeries,
- 1.4 Service Charging and Accounting
- 1.5 Semantic descriptors

2- Binding and IoT stacks :
- 2.1 MQTT communication binding (see dev branch)-> OM2M v1.1
- 2.2 Websocket,
- 2.3 DDS
- 2.4 Eclipse IoT projects like Eclipse Smarthome and Kura.
- 2.5 OSGi service layer API binding and information model mapping

3-Interworking
- 3.1 Alljoyn,
- 3.2 OCF
- 3.3 LWM2M,
- 3.4 Zwave,
- 3.5 Enocean,
- 3.6 Hue,
- 3.7 NB-IoT,
- 3.8 Proximal IoT interworking 

4-Interfaces
- 4.1 Enhancement of the current developer web interface to support CRUD requests
- 4.2 debugging console,
- 4.3 Administration web interface
- 4.4 User data visualisation : chart
- 4.5 easy developper interface

5-content formats
- 5.1 optimized content formats like CBOR serialization.

6-Security
- 6.1 Authentication using TLS and PSK
- 6.2 Token based authentication like oAuth2

7-Conformance
- 7.1 Full OneM2M release 2
- 7.2 Conformance with the upcoming oneM2M release 3
- 7.3 Certification

8-Deployment
- 8.1 Database : NoSql, MongoDB
- 8.2 Cloud deployment
- 8.3 Salability and performance.

Regards,

Thierry.
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1760570 is a reply to message #1759824] Fri, 28 April 2017 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastien Bolle is currently offline Sebastien BolleFriend
Dear all,

thank you for launching this thread.
On Orange Labs side, you maybe know we have contributed to implementation of FlexContainers and also TS-0023 specification (SDT: Smart Device Template).

In a short version, our topic of interest are first still around resources for abstraction layer like SDT (and forthcoming semantic datamodels), interworking (IPE) to connect to device ecosystems, and second, Device Management (support of related resources and interworking with management protocols like TR-069 and OMA LWM2M). These are our very main priorities.

In a long version, inspired by Thierry's list, a modified version in which I try to give priorities. P1 is on topics I mention above of course, and also on additional topics that I believe to be also important.

1-Resources:
- 1.1 Flex Container (See Bug 498374 ) -> OM2M v1.1 (enhancements and improvements) (P1)
- 1.2 Smart Device Template (SDT) (See Bug 498387 ) -> OM2M v1.1 (enhancements and improvements) (P1)
- 1.3 Management Resources (e.g. Management Objects) (P1)
- 1.3 Semantic descriptors and more generally support of semantic models brought by forthcoming oneM2M specifications (e.g. SAREF) (P1)

2- Binding
- 2.1 Binding to OSGi services (Mca reference point mapping to OSGi service) (P2)

3-Interworking
- 3.1 TR-069 (P1)
- 3.2 LWM2M (P1)
- 3.3 Proximal IoT interworking (P2)
- 3.4 OCF (P2)

4-Content and data
- 4.1 Support for historical data storing (e.g. historical values of SDT Datapoints) (maybe it is something already supported, we did not check yet but we have some forthcoming needs) (P2)

5-Security
- 5.1 Dynamic Authorization (P1)
- 5.2 Token based authentication like oAuth2 or JWT (maybe already support in fact?) (P1)

6-Deployment
- 6.1 OM2M for constrained devices (e.g. non Java or very light Java version) (P1)

7-Conformance
- 7.1 Full OneM2M release 2
- 7.2 Conformance with the upcoming oneM2M release 3
- 7.3 Certification

Best regards,

--Sébastien Bolle (Orange Labs)
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1760826 is a reply to message #1760570] Wed, 03 May 2017 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Kraft is currently offline Andreas KraftFriend
Dear all,

thank you very much for this thread. I agree with Thierry and Sébastien, and like to add to resp. comment on some points:

>1-Resources:
>- 1.2 Smart Device Template (SDT) (See Bug 498387 ) -> OM2M v1.1 (enhancements and improvements) (P1) -

I think that the SDT implementation is very good improvement. It really reduces the Java code a developer has to write and it simplifies the use of om2m tremendously. It also make om2m to feel more like a native OSGi framework.
There are some details we need to discuss here, perhaps we should open another thread for this.

>2 - Binding
>- 2.1 Binding to OSGi services (Mca reference point mapping to OSGi service) (P2)
>- 2.5 OSGi service layer API binding and information model mapping

See also the mail from Jiaxin. There is an upcomming activity in OSGi to work together with oneM2M. There is also the OSGi Device Abstraction Layer we specified in the Residential Expert Group. I think this is a very good place to start a binding implementation.

>- 2.4 Eclipse IoT projects like Eclipse Smarthome and Kura.

We (DT) are currently working on a binding to Eclipse Smarthome. This work can be contributed as soon it is in good shape. It uses the OSGi Device Abstraction Layer mentioned above as well as the SDT implementation from Orange Labs .

>- 4 Interfaces

I think providing good debugging interfaces is essential for acceptance. Using Postman to make changes to the resources is fine, but just, for example, applying changes to the resources via the web UI would also reduce development times.
And don't underestimate how important a nice looking UI is for "marketing" of the framework and oneM2M in general.

>6-Deployment
>- 6.1 OM2M for constrained devices (e.g. non Java or very light Java version) (P1)

This must include support for older Java versions (ie. Java5). There are some parts in the code that would not compile for constrained devices because they require a newer Java version that is just not available (at least as open source) for those devices. I think this should high priority since there is a big demand to see oneM2M running on constrained devices.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1760982 is a reply to message #1760826] Thu, 04 May 2017 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Skerrett is currently offline Ian SkerrettFriend
It is great to see the interest in the roadmap for OM2M. Would it make sense to have an OM2M project meeting at EclipseCon France? I could help find a room if there is enough interest?

Ian
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1760983 is a reply to message #1760826] Thu, 04 May 2017 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Skerrett is currently offline Ian SkerrettFriend
It is great to see the interest in the roadmap for OM2M. Would it make sense to have an OM2M project meeting at EclipseCon France? I could help find a room if there is enough interest?

Ian
Re: Eclipse OM2M roadmap for next releases [message #1763836 is a reply to message #1760983] Sun, 21 May 2017 18:10 Go to previous message
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your feedback. I like the idea of having a meeting at EclipseCon, however I have a conflict with another meeting the same week. I can join by Skype.
By the way, I participated last week to the 4th oneM2M interop event in Taipei. It was a successful event where we discovered some interop issues that need to be fixed.
This week, I am participating to oneM2M TP#29 meeting in Shenzhen with Andreas and Jason where we planned to discuss next contributions to achieve the promising roadmap.

You can find below my view on the important features. To go deep further in the discussion, I put my name in front of the features I will develop.

1-Resources:
- 1.1 Support Time Series (Mahdi)
- 1.2 Complete Discovery (Support all filter criteria)
- 1.3 Complete Subscription (Support all parameters)
- 1.4 Polling Channel (Useful non-server capable ADN and for NAT traversing when using HTTP)
- 1.5 Semantic Descriptor

2- Binding
- 2.1 Websocket (Mahdi)
- 2.2 OSGi services

3-Interworking
- 3.1 IPE harmonisation (Mahdi)
- 3.2 Zwave
- 3.3 Enocean
- 3.4 NB-IoT
- 3.5 LORA

4-Content, data and addressing
- 4.1 Support CBOR serialization (Mahdi)
- 4.2 Partial resource addressing

5-Device management
- 5.1 LWM2M
- 5.1 TR-069

6-Security
- 6.1 AE secure registration (Mahdi)
- 1.5 Support Role in ACP

8-Conformance
- 8.1 Fix oneM2M interop issues (Mahdi)
- 8.2 oneM2M release 2 (Mahdi)

Please do the same and tell us about the features you want to work on for the next release.

Best regards,
Mahdi

[Updated on: Sun, 21 May 2017 18:12]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Is Semantic Descriptor in OM2M implemented ?
Next Topic:RESTAPI to access the OneM2M resources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:13:17 GMT 2024