Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Creating and starting non e4 model bundle
Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759147] Thu, 06 April 2017 15:54 Go to next message
Henri Boucher is currently offline Henri BoucherFriend
I need a bundle that provides communication between a remote computer over the internet and processes running on the machine using EventBus or EventBroker.

I can't use MAddon because they must exit after subscribing to topic(s).

I'm not sure where in the MANIFEST.MF editor you can add a bundle or/and class that is activated at application startup. I also don't know what the code would look like (a Main or Start method?)

At the bottom of section 5.1.1 (Service Layer/Essentials) in osgi.core-4.3.0.pdf they state

Persistent Identifier Provide a means for bundles to track services across Framework restarts.

I'm very interested in that because I would like my bundle to span restrarts. Any examples of how osgi services work that I could look at?

I'd also appreciate any links that you think would be useful to me.

Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759277 is a reply to message #1759147] Sun, 09 April 2017 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've added an org.eclipse.core.runtime.applications extension with ID "comm" and with a class that implements IApplication. I also added "-application=comm" to the Program arguments section in the Arguments tab in run configurations. Both the Framework and Command-line arguments in the log have "-application=comm" at the end of their lines.

I tried 3 ways to confirm that the application plug-in starts: println(), eventBroker.post and finally a break-point in the class. All failed.

Any suggestions? I'd also like to confirm that If I did manage to get the application to run, it would share the same framework as my product (eg. share the event bus)?
Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759362 is a reply to message #1759277] Mon, 10 April 2017 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot to mention that I'm running on a target platform built with the e(fx)clipse runtime only.
Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759388 is a reply to message #1759362] Tue, 11 April 2017 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Why does an MAddon has to exit after subscribing? MAddons are there from the start until the tear down of the application
Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759552 is a reply to message #1759388] Wed, 12 April 2017 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759553 is a reply to message #1759552] Wed, 12 April 2017 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. If MyAddon does not exit the application is never rendered.
2. The MinMaxAddon method exits after subscribing.
Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759601 is a reply to message #1759553] Thu, 13 April 2017 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops. I just realized that MyAddon and MinMaxAddon are constructors not methods, so of course they have to exit. So is the answer to start a thread or bundle in MyAddon? What would the code look like?
Re: Creating and starting non e4 model bundle [message #1759619 is a reply to message #1759601] Thu, 13 April 2017 22:28 Go to previous message
I apologize for taking up some of your time because of my lack of knowledge and at the same time appreciate your help. I added this code to my constructor

final class MyAddonThread extends Thread{
	public void run() {
		System.out.println(eventBroker);
	}
}
(new MyAddonThread()).start();

Previous Topic:Eclipse 4 on ARM?
Next Topic:How to change default height of ListSelectionDialog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 14:22:01 GMT 2024