Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination
How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1758877] Tue, 04 April 2017 06:16 Go to next message
Dominik Gabriel is currently offline Dominik GabrielFriend
hi there,

i got a problem with the external key combination. i am trying to enter a ';' by using it, but thats not working. i am always getting Invalid Base Key ... or Execution Error: "The validated object is null"
i am using the german keyboard layout. here's what i already tried:
| modifier_key | base_key |
|--------------|----------|
| none         | ;        |
| shift        | ,        |
| shift        | \,       |
| none         | \;       |

can anybody help me?

best regards
dominik

[Updated on: Tue, 04 April 2017 06:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759082 is a reply to message #1758877] Thu, 06 April 2017 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Dominik,

using the semicolon as a base key on the german keyboard is not possible. The semicolon is only accessible by pressing SHIFT + , and is not a key on its own. You can only use base keys that would be accessible without pressing any modifier key.

Best regards,
Kevin
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759083 is a reply to message #1759082] Thu, 06 April 2017 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks kevin,

i thought that it should be shift + , but also this was not working as u see in the table above

@edit:
see the screenshot below
index.php/fa/28990/0/

[Updated on: Thu, 06 April 2017 06:45]

Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759194 is a reply to message #1759083] Fri, 07 April 2017 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miklos Hartmann is currently offline Miklos HartmannFriend
In order to enter special keys, you have to use their code (without the VC_ part), see the javadoc of KeyEvent.java (sorry, I cannot yet post links...)

So if you get semicolon on your keyboard by pressing SHIFT +, then you have to use PLUS instead of +. In fact you could also use SEMICOLON, but that this identifies the KEY being pressed, so SEMICOLON without SHIFT would yield + on your keyboard...
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759287 is a reply to message #1759194] Mon, 10 April 2017 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hit there,

I'm not sure if you tried it yourself. I tried it in the Simple Adder application which comes as an example with Jubula. Here are some screenshots to show what happens with the different parameters:

(shift + ,) will result in an Action Error:
index.php/fa/29009/0/

(shift + SEMICOLON) will result in a capital 'S':
index.php/fa/29010/0/

(none + SEMICOLON) will result in a small 's':
index.php/fa/29011/0/

(none + Wink will result in a comma ',':
index.php/fa/29012/0/

(shift + Wink will result in an Action Error:
index.php/fa/29013/0/

so if anyone has another idea you are welcome to tell me.
or maybe someone of the Jubula team can investigate and see if there is maybe a bug in the delivered german keyboard layout or the pressAnyKey Case implementation.

Additional Information:
i am using Jubula 8.4.1.123 ITE. So the behaviour in older versions may be different if something changed there. i didn't try.

Best Regards
Dominik

[Updated on: Mon, 10 April 2017 08:37]

Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759374 is a reply to message #1759287] Tue, 11 April 2017 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Dominik,

can you please try Modifier: "shift", Base key: "COMMA". That should work.

Best regards,
Kevin
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759379 is a reply to message #1759374] Tue, 11 April 2017 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also not working as u can see in the screenshot:
index.php/fa/29022/0/

it looks like that it even don't recognize the "COMMA" without a modifier
index.php/fa/29023/0/
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759386 is a reply to message #1759379] Tue, 11 April 2017 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Dominik,

I just tried it in the RCP SimpleAdder as well and I can confirm your observations. Previously, I tested it with the JavaFX SimpleAdder and there it's working fine so this is an RCP problem.
If you just need a semicolon as text, you could make a simple workaround by using copyToClipboard and pasting the clipboard with CTRL + V modifier key. Please let us know if you need it for a case where pasting from the clipboard is not a suitable workaround, we will then try to fix it until the next release. I also already filed a bug ticket [1].

Best regards,
Kevin

[1] http://eclip.se/515078
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759390 is a reply to message #1759386] Tue, 11 April 2017 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Kevin,

thanks for your answer. i didn't think that there could be a difference there between the toolkits. FYI i tried it with the SWT simple adder Wink

for that special test case it is not possible cause it is just to enter the text. for this feature i really need that key event. it's not that big problem at the moment cause this functionality is also triggered by other keyEvents, so i am testing the functionality with other events at the moment.

i will add the additional testcase when the bug ticket is resolved and i updated to that version.

i also tried to workaround with input text but input text with ';' parameter will write a ','. Maybe this should be added to the bug ticket to see if this is the same problem

Best Regards
Dominik
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759566 is a reply to message #1759390] Thu, 13 April 2017 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Dominik,

could you please try it again with the unbound module "ub_app_externalPressAnyKey [MODIFIER_KEYS; BASE_KEY]". As for the parameters enter MODIFIER_KEYS: shift and BASE_KEY: COMMA. This worked for me in SWT. There are two sorts of key combinations: External Key Combination and just Key Combination. Key Combination is the faulty one but External Key Combination seems to work.

Best regards,
Kevin
Re: How To: Enter a semicolon with external key combination [message #1759571 is a reply to message #1759566] Thu, 13 April 2017 09:49 Go to previous message
thanks!

shift + , is also not working but shift + COMMA is working fine with externalPressAnyKey
Previous Topic:How to select a checkbox which is inside a Graphics Component
Next Topic:Select Node by Textpath
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:55:59 GMT 2024