Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Access parent project stream name
Access parent project stream name [message #1758759] Sun, 02 April 2017 08:41 Go to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
Hi,

I have a root project with two subprojects. I would like to have the user only select the stream in the parent project, not in the subprojects, which feels natural I think. The parent project basically defines the target platform, which differs depending on the selected stream. The sub-projects then checkout the corresponding branches and import source code with source-locator targlets.

I have to replace ${scope.project.stream.name} (Used in git checkout branch attribute) with an expression that yields the parent project stream name. Is this possible?
Re: Access parent project stream name [message #1758760 is a reply to message #1758759] Sun, 02 April 2017 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe this isn't the right way to do things.. At least, once I remove all streams from the subprojects, the content outline view no longer displays any of the subproject tasks :/ I am trying to figure out why this is by looking at the Oomph source code.
Re: Access parent project stream name [message #1758765 is a reply to message #1758760] Sun, 02 April 2017 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You should note that a Workspace has a "streams" reference just as an Installation has a productVersion reference. So a Project can only be referenced by a Workspace via a reference to one of that Project's Streams. A Project without Streams cannot be referenced, so a Project without Streams is only useful if it has subprojects (and of course in the end, those are only useful if the leaf Project has Streams). So what you described originally sounds like a project with streams. Maybe have a look at EMF.setup as perhaps an example similar to what you're trying to do. Here the main project defines the clone while the subprojects sets let you work with well-defined subsets of the Eclipse projects in that clone...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Access parent project stream name [message #1758793 is a reply to message #1758765] Mon, 03 April 2017 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Ed, yes this helps. In EMF, does it make sense that one selects for example 'master' for EMF Core and some maintenance stream for XCore in a single installation? In my case it makes no sense. If I select master on one project, I have to select master on all other projects too. What I want to say, is there a way to constrain the possible combinations of streams that a user can select?
Re: Access parent project stream name [message #1758802 is a reply to message #1758793] Mon, 03 April 2017 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's a good question, but given there is only one clone task, no matter which streams of the subprojects are chosen, there will only be only merged clone task and it will check out only one branch. So it's kind of irrelevant if inconsistent branches are chosen. And in the end, you can have a variable to choose the branch that's checked out, rather than using the stream's name, so you provide the choice of which branch via to check out via the variables view so that it's not possible to choose an inconsistent combination. Also, with filters that use prompted variable values, you can make things conditional based on variables, so you might not need subprojects at all...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Access parent project stream name [message #1758915 is a reply to message #1758802] Tue, 04 April 2017 14:45 Go to previous message
Yes, I had thought of using conditionals and no subprojects alternatively. Maybe I'll try, not sure. Again, thank you for the guidance.
Previous Topic:Oomph and .project files
Next Topic:Testing .setup locally
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:34:23 GMT 2024