Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Questions on servers?
Questions on servers? [message #1758127] Thu, 23 March 2017 17:56 Go to next message
Izak van Langevelde is currently offline Izak van LangeveldeFriend
Could someone explain the idea of configuring a server with its life cycle managed externally? I guess this means the server is started/stopped from outside eclipse, but servers configured like this still give me the option to start/stop from eclipse, which doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I noticed the state of a server as shown in eclipse does not really reflect its real state. That is, if I start a server from command line, and then start eclipse, the server state shows as stopped in eclipse. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Re: Questions on servers? [message #1758423 is a reply to message #1758127] Tue, 28 March 2017 14:19 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
For Eclipse WebTools to accurately display the state of a Web Application server in the Servers view, I believe Eclipse needs to be the one to launch and control the server's process. I'm not aware of any support for "connecting" to what you might do externally of Eclipse other than attaching as a Remote Java Application, which is independent of the Servers view.

If you start the server from the command line, then trying to start it from within Eclipse will likely fail due to the needed ports already being in use. Thus, the server in the Servers view remains in the stopped state.
Previous Topic:Create Dynamic Web Project with Java Server Faces on WIldFly server?
Next Topic:server and eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:05:44 GMT 2024