Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse autogenerated code usage in a commercial release
Eclipse autogenerated code usage in a commercial release [message #1756378] Thu, 16 March 2017 07:47 Go to next message
shira leibovich is currently offline shira leibovichFriend
hi,
I am writing a program which uses eclipse autogenerated code in some parts with no change. I want to release this program externally and I wanted to know if the EPL license obligations will enforce me to make my entire source code available to everyone?

thanks.
Re: Eclipse autogenerated code usage in a commercial release [message #1756417 is a reply to message #1756378] Thu, 16 March 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I would say not, but I'm a not lawyer. The same question comes up, for example, with EMF's code generators that are based on templates. The templates themselves are EPL (so if you copy them and change them, you must shared those changes publicly somewhere to conform with the EPL), but what's generated uses as input an Ecore model authored by someone else (and hence is copyrighted by them with their license and is their intellectual property) and that input is what drives the templates to produce the generated result, which is then also their copyrighted code with their license and is their intellectual property. The same can be argued for JDT's auto-generated code; you provide the input and the output has all the same "legal properties" as the input.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse autogenerated code usage in a commercial release [message #1757879 is a reply to message #1756417] Tue, 21 March 2017 07:42 Go to previous message
shira leibovich is currently offline shira leibovichFriend
thank you
Previous Topic:Need TestNG run option in RCP application
Next Topic:SPSS Statistics and Eclipse Classic Compatibility Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:29:45 GMT 2024