Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Default Facet for dependent projects of a Web Application(When I add dependent project to a webapp it converts to faceted with wrong java version)
icon13.gif  Default Facet for dependent projects of a Web Application [message #1756171] Mon, 13 March 2017 12:36 Go to next message
Bruno Melloni is currently offline Bruno MelloniFriend
I am not really a newcomer to Eclipse, as I've been using it from the early days. But I always procrastinated by working around this very basic issue instead of looking into it, and it is truly a "newcomer" type of question.

To reproduce:

- Get the latest JDK (1.8 at this time).
- Get the latest stable Eclipse (Neon at this time).
- Setup your preferences in Eclipse to ONLY use JDK 1.8 and to use 1.8 compatibility mode.
- Create a vanilla Java Project (perhaps a library). It starts its life as non-faceted.
- Create a Dynamic Web Project. Choose the latest Dynamic Web Module version (3.1 at this time) and ensure in the facets that it is using Java 8.
- Add the vanilla Java Project as a dependency.

... and the vanilla Java Project gets converted to faceted form, with the selected Java version as 1.6 (not the 1.8 of the Dynamic Weg Project or the preferences).

This happens to me often and usually I don't notice until I tried to launch the webapp and wasted a couple minutes. I curse loudly and go back to all the dependent projects to verify and change their facets to 1.8. Viable but annoying. Sad

Is there any way to make these automatic conversions to faceted form either automatically use the default Java version specified in the properties or better yet... automatically inherit the Java version of the Dynamic Web Project that caused the change to faceted form?
Re: Default Facet for dependent projects of a Web Application [message #1757346 is a reply to message #1756171] Sun, 19 March 2017 17:52 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Sounds like this would be worth a bug report at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=WTP%20Java%20EE%20Tools&component=jst.j2ee&version=3.8 .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Eclipse auto-complete issue
Next Topic:Need TestNG run option in RCP application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:52:14 GMT 2024