Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » EMF Refactor
EMF Refactor [message #1755878] Wed, 08 March 2017 20:42 Go to next message
Ruchika Kumar is currently offline Ruchika KumarFriend
I wanted to know if this tool is stable and can be used to detect model smells.
The last update was made 3-4 years ago and seems like it is still in incubation phase. Any help is appreciated.
Re: EMF Refactor [message #1755908 is a reply to message #1755878] Thu, 09 March 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I am afraid that EMF Refactor demonstrates some of the good and not so good aspects of Eclipse incubation projects.

Good in that work done by academia is made available in a way that allows others to use it without too much integration trouble. (Far too much academic code is lost to the wider community.)

Not so good in that students/researchers move on and have limited time or enthusiasm to support their historical researches.

The longer term success of this kind of project depends on whether it builds a community that is able to sustain it after the founding members move on. Are you part of that community ? If no community materializes, there is a risk that the project will be archived making it significantly less accessible.

From the EMF Refactor PMI pages, it is clear that EMF Refactor is very stable; no commits in the last twelve months. The code is all Open Source so it is there for you to exploit if you feel that it will help you.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: EMF Refactor [message #1756207 is a reply to message #1755908] Mon, 13 March 2017 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

Thanks for reply.
I wanted to use this tool to find model smells. However, after downloading the tool, I am able to see the Metrics Results View but for some reason, Smell Results View does not show anything. I tried to change the smell configuration but no luck even if there exists smell in the model.

Could you help me with this?
Re: EMF Refactor [message #1756217 is a reply to message #1756207] Tue, 14 March 2017 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Sorry, exploiting EMF Refactor in conjunction with QVTd and Xtext has long been on my todo list.

Your best bet is to contact the original committers whose identity (but not email) you can find on the EMF Refactor PMI page.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: EMF Refactor [message #1756502 is a reply to message #1756217] Sat, 18 March 2017 00:43 Go to previous message

Tried contacting the committers but no response yet.

Anyway Thanks Smile
Previous Topic:EMF Forms: PackageNotFoundException for view proxy model
Next Topic:[EMF Forms] integrate Buttons for operations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:58:58 GMT 2024