Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Paho » Difference of Paho Android Service and Paho Java Client
Difference of Paho Android Service and Paho Java Client [message #1755703] Tue, 07 March 2017 04:21 Go to next message
Taiga Abe is currently offline Taiga AbeFriend
Hi all.

I can find two mqtt clients that can use on android platform,
one is Paho Android Service and the other is Paho Java Client.
I tryed to use both of them and could execute correctly.

So, I have a question. What is the difference of them?
Which should I use on android?

Regards,
Taiga
Re: Difference of Paho Android Service and Paho Java Client [message #1755839 is a reply to message #1755703] Wed, 08 March 2017 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutton is currently offline James SuttonFriend
Hi Taiga,

The Android Service is a wrapper around the Java Client. The idea is that whilst some developers may choose to add the Java client into their Android app themselves, others may want something that is a bit more 'plug and play' with the Android SDK.

The Android service has a number of useful features in it that are specially for Android apps, these include: An android specific ping sender implementation that uses less CPU time and so uses less battery and an Android Service structure that uses Broadcast messages to communicate with the main UI thread.

It's all a matter of preference, If you prefer using the Java client that's fine, the Android service is mostly there to reduce lots of developers having to write the same code every time.

Re: Difference of Paho Android Service and Paho Java Client [message #1756373 is a reply to message #1755839] Thu, 16 March 2017 06:23 Go to previous message
Taiga Abe is currently offline Taiga AbeFriend
Hi James,

Thank you for your reply. I understood the difference.
I use the Java client because I need to use blocking APIs on the android application.

Thanks,
Taiga
Previous Topic:syntax for auth with paho connecting to mqtt
Next Topic:MQTT Paho C library using SSL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:11:32 GMT 2024