Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Trace Compass » Network Tracing - Adding a new protocol(Add support for new protocols in the network tracing component.)
Network Tracing - Adding a new protocol [message #1755339] Thu, 02 March 2017 13:18 Go to next message
Andrei Anghel is currently offline Andrei AnghelFriend
Hello,

I'm developing a tracer which uses most of tracecompass plug-ins.
I need to add several protocols to the trace compass pcap component. After a brief search, I found [1], which looked like the info I needed. The only problem is that it requires modifying source code. Unless I understood this wrong, I find this task impossible, since I would have to import most of tracecompass sources (due to various dependencies) and somehow manage to build the whole project locally.

Basically, I need to find a way to support new protocols in the tracer tool, in the way wireshark's plug-ins work.

Any updates on the topic signaled in the last section of that tutorial in the developer guide, in the TODO section?
"Make adding protocol more "plugin-ish", via extension points for instance. This would make it easier to support new protocols, without modifying the source code."

Did somebody else found a way to add a protocol (something based on tcp or udp) and can help me which some advices/code snipets/tutorial?

With respect, Andrei

[1] http://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.dev/Network-Tracing.html
Re: Network Tracing - Adding a new protocol [message #1755390 is a reply to message #1755339] Thu, 02 March 2017 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernd Hufmann is currently offline Bernd HufmannFriend
Hi Andrei

Thank you for the interests in Trace Compass!

You are right, that currently it's not possible to plug-in other protocols into the Network Tracing of Trace Compass. The only way to add new protocol is to get the source code of Trace Compass and add it directly to it.

We would like to have plug-in support for Network tracing, but we didn't have the time to work on it and, based on our current priorities, we won't be able to work on it soon, unfortunately.

However, it would be a great addition to Trace Compass to have a plug-in extension point to be able to plug-in protocol extensions. Moreover, it would be great to even plug-in existing Wireshark disectors.

We would gladly review and help integrating contributions to Trace Compass that would provide such an extension point. Would you be able to work on that?

Best Regards
Bernd
Re: Network Tracing - Adding a new protocol [message #1755643 is a reply to message #1755390] Mon, 06 March 2017 13:54 Go to previous message
Andrei Anghel is currently offline Andrei AnghelFriend
Hello,

The current time frame does not allow me to extend the required plug-in, I'll just do the "non-plug-in" way and import the 3 pcap plug-ins and modify the source code, then build.

Andrei
Previous Topic:Custom (time graph) view questions
Next Topic:Trace Compass is blocking the C project Build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:52:34 GMT 2024