Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » FORTE: To many files in modules
FORTE: To many files in modules [message #1754401] Fri, 17 February 2017 10:11 Go to next message
Lik Lik is currently offline Lik LikFriend
Hi,
I want to suggest the other project tree because there is to many source files in project and the compiling and linking processes take a long time.

index.php/fa/28493/0/
  • Attachment: project.JPG
    (Size: 140.85KB, Downloaded 283 times)
Re: FORTE: To many files in modules [message #1754403 is a reply to message #1754401] Fri, 17 February 2017 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Milan Vathoopan is currently offline Milan VathoopanFriend
Hi Lik,

Sorry that I am not answering to your question, or I have not clearly understood what you would like to achieve. But what is interesting for me is that I see freertos stuff in your forte project. I t will be great to know your progress or experiments with forte on freertos platform, if you are really into it.

Thanks
Milan

Re: FORTE: To many files in modules [message #1754408 is a reply to message #1754403] Fri, 17 February 2017 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lik Lik is currently offline Lik LikFriend
Ok. I try to explain.
If we add module IEC61131-3 with all subdirectories to project then we add 400 *.cpp files to compile and link for build.
If we include those 400 files in the one "IEC61131_3.cpp" and exclude 400 files from build then only one file will be compile.
Re: FORTE: To many files in modules [message #1754484 is a reply to message #1754408] Sat, 18 February 2017 16:15 Go to previous message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi,

Yes I we know that these are a lot of files to compile. However these files need only to be compiled once. We tried to get an incremental build support with our build system so if you add new modules, new files or change a file only the changed elements will be recompiled.

I understand your solution and I also like it. However it will break a few things in the FORTE build. The reason for this is that we use CMake scripts to generate some code which makes FORTE in the end smaller and more efficient. With your proposed solutions these scripts would not work and in the end you may get linking errors or even worse a broken FORTE.

But I'll keep your suggestion in the back of my mind to consider how we can improve the situation.
Previous Topic:Tool Library Help
Next Topic:json com layer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:17:07 GMT 2024