Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Linking Class Diagrams to Activity Diagrams(Associating class diagrams to object nodes in activity diagrams)
Linking Class Diagrams to Activity Diagrams [message #1754245] Wed, 15 February 2017 16:53 Go to next message
Sadaf Mustafiz is currently offline Sadaf MustafizFriend
Hi,

I am trying to associate class diagrams to the object nodes (input/output pins in Papyrus) in activity diagrams. This is to specify which metamodel the object instances need to be conform to. Can this be done by using the 'type' attribute of the input/output pin, or is there any other way? I don't see any class diagrams showing up in the type list.

Also, my class diagrams are part of another project. I have tried importing them into the activity diagram project but they don't show up under the model explorer. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!
Re: Linking Class Diagrams to Activity Diagrams [message #1754480 is a reply to message #1754245] Sat, 18 February 2017 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
My understanding is that what you want to do is not UML and therefore is not implemented in Papyrus (if I'm wrong I'd be glad to be corrected! That's how I learn)
If I'm not mistaken the "object nodes" in the activity diagram are not related to class objects. They just happen to have a similar name.
My understanding is that activity diagrams are best used for non-object oriented procedural programming modeling (do A; then do B; then decision: if yes then do C, else do D). I think there is some connection between UML elements in activity diagram and UML elements in class diagram, but don't quite understand what the point is. If you need to model a process (business process or runtime process), sequence diagram is much better.

If wrong someone please correct me... thanks!

Re: Linking Class Diagrams to Activity Diagrams [message #1754558 is a reply to message #1754480] Mon, 20 February 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wiman is currently offline Thomas WimanFriend

There is a way in Papyrus to get at least hypelinks to class diagrams from a pin in an Activity Diagram.

These are the steps on Windows/Papyrus 2.0:
1: "Alt"-click on the pin in the activity diagram to bring up a small popup-menu
2: Select "Modify Hypelinks" in the popup-menu to bring up the Modify Hyperlinks dialog
3: Click on the "+"-button in the Modify Hypelinks Dialog and select "View" on the popup-menu
4: Now you can select to which diagram you want to establish a hyperlink

Next time you "Alt"-click the pin, you will have a hyperlink to the selected diagram in the popup-menu.

You may notice that this is a feature in Papyrus that are stored in the specific diagram and not in the semantic UML-model.

Thomas Wiman
MetaModelAgent Product Manager
Re: Linking Class Diagrams to Activity Diagrams [message #1754586 is a reply to message #1754558] Mon, 20 February 2017 15:09 Go to previous message
Sadaf Mustafiz is currently offline Sadaf MustafizFriend
Thank you for this info. This is indeed useful if the pin is to be linked to an object which is a model instance. However if the pin needs to be associated to a class diagram (say, a metamodel which the object needs to conform to), to me it seems that it would make more sense if the link could be made via the 'type' attribute. When I try to add a type, I see a list of all the classes that were created as part of the class diagrams in the project but not the name of the class diagrams itself. I am confused as to why this is the case. What does the 'type' attribute under Properties associated to a input/output pin (also the buffer node and data store node) represent?

Also, I would like to know if it's possible to get access to the running example (the Papyrus project and models) that is shown in the Activity Diagram tutorial available here:
https://eclipse.org/papyrus/resources/PapyrusTutorial_OnActivityDiagrams_v0.2_d20110719.pdf

A response from the Papyrus team would be much appreciated.
Previous Topic:How to refactor an Internal Block Diagram?
Next Topic:Extending Associations in UML Profile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:40:30 GMT 2024