Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse not saving all windows(Quitting and relaunching Eclipse only opens 1 of 3 windows I was last using)
Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754170] Tue, 14 February 2017 22:16 Go to next message
Jon Leighton is currently offline Jon LeightonFriend
I'm running eclipse neon 4.6.0 for C/C++ on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, downloaded from eclipse.org. I use eclipse with multiple windows open. When I quit eclipse and reopen it, it's always a crap shoot as to whether or not eclipse will open all the windows from my last session or just one of them. Is there a way to get eclipse to reliably open all windows from my previous session? Thanks for any help.

- Jon
Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754609 is a reply to message #1754170] Mon, 20 February 2017 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The solution (for me) has been to switch to another IDE. NetBeans' NewDocument tab group feature is essentially the same as opening multiple windows in Eclipse, and NetBeans doesn't randomly forget my previous session's windows. I'm sure there are other IDEs that support a similar feature.
Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754619 is a reply to message #1754609] Tue, 21 February 2017 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Not to discount your experience, but this works correctly on my 4.6.2 installation.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754713 is a reply to message #1754619] Tue, 21 February 2017 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um... that suggests that my experience is not the norm, which is good news for everyone else.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 February 2017 18:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754719 is a reply to message #1754713] Tue, 21 February 2017 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Is anything showing up in the Error Log view when you've restarted and encountered this problem? Is there anything additionally installed into your download? Does it still happen with an update to the latest/current version?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754729 is a reply to message #1754719] Tue, 21 February 2017 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only available update was an Oomph update. I applied it and it did not fix the problem. I haven't installed any additional plugins that I'm aware of. How do I check the Error Log view? I'm not familiar with that.

I haven't tested this enough to be certain, but it appears that selecting Exit from the File menu results in the window configuration being saved, while right-clicking on the Eclipse icon in the Launcher and selecting Quit does not.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 February 2017 20:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754742 is a reply to message #1754729] Tue, 21 February 2017 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ah, the view's only present if the Plug-in Development Environment is installed. The information would also be present in your workspace's (hidden by the leading '.') .metadata/.log file.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Eclipse not saving all windows [message #1754752 is a reply to message #1754742] Tue, 21 February 2017 23:53 Go to previous message
I've checked my workspace/.metadata/.log file and there are no entries created whether or not the window configuration is correctly remembered.

On the bright side, Eclipse continues to remember my window configuration provided I quit it by selecting File->Exit rather than by right-clicking the Launcher icon and selecting Quit. I wish it didn't matter how I quit Eclipse, but this is looking like a reasonably simple solution.
Previous Topic:Does jetty not support DSA public key certificate?
Next Topic:eclipse do not start on OS Sierra
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:28:18 GMT 2024