Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Lua Development Tools » Debugging external app opens source file separately
Debugging external app opens source file separately [message #1753927] Mon, 13 February 2017 01:29 Go to next message
uiy uiy is currently offline uiy uiyFriend
I have added a linked folder which includes a lua file I am trying to debug.

I open the source file, add a break point, then debug. Lua "opens up" the same file but through the "debugger resolution". It doesn't realize it is the same file. This ends up having both files yet they are the same and I cannot modify the second.

I have tried all 3 different resolution methods and they all do this. Is there any way to inform the debugger that it is the same files?

The only difference is that one is

Test

and the other is

this.is.a.test

where the .'s are part of the absolute path. (e.g., C:\this\is\a\test.lua is where the file is located)

again, in both cases it's the same file located at the same place on my HD but the debugger doesn't seem to compare them properly.

Is this a limitation of the debugger or a settings/configuration problem?
Re: Debugging external app opens source file separately [message #1753949 is a reply to message #1753927] Mon, 13 February 2017 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Bernard is currently offline Simon BernardFriend
Files should be in the build path/source path.

See https://wiki.eclipse.org/LDT/User_Area/User_Guides/User_Guide_1.3#Buildpath
Re: Debugging external app opens source file separately [message #1753984 is a reply to message #1753949] Mon, 13 February 2017 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried following the methods at

https://wiki.eclipse.org/LDT/User_Area/User_Guides/User_Guide_1.3#Configuring_Build_paths

but I have the same problem(seems that the docs are a little outdated too).

I have tried several things but they all essentially do the same thing.

The "remove" file that is opened has a path like

This.is.a.This.is.a.Test

(where the actual path is C:\This\is\a\Test.lua)

I'm not sure if the path given for the source file by the remote debugger is wrong and so LDT cannot match or what. This is my hunch

Can you confirm that seeing the "filename" for the tab of the remotely debugged file should not have a "double path"(A.B.C.A.B.C.File)?

Note that the breakpoints are hit so it matches at some level. Again, it is just opening up the same file in a different tab with a different tab label. I cannot edit the second one, I think because LDT thinks it is a remote file(which it is in a sense but it is also local).

Can you give a little bit of an explanation on how the client and server debuggers resolve the files?

The client sends the source code and the file name and/or path to the server and the server attempts to locate that file on in one of the source/build paths that match the path and file name?

If that is the case then I the problem is really just getting the client or server to "realize" that the file is there. Shouldn't be difficult. I could hack the client debugger code to send it the path that the server is looking for and it should work?

Thanks...

Re: Debugging external app opens source file separately [message #1754013 is a reply to message #1753984] Mon, 13 February 2017 19:26 Go to previous message
Ok, I was able to finally get it to work. I re-created the project, added the folder as a linked folder(new folder/advanced), and local resolution and now it uses the local file as expected. Not sure what happened before, probably user error.
Previous Topic:How to document lists with the luadcoumentor?
Next Topic:Debug configuration issue and extra variables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:20:42 GMT 2024