Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » VIATRA » vaitra queries visualised using Sirius(vaitra queries visualised using Sirius)
vaitra queries visualised using Sirius [message #1753567] Tue, 07 February 2017 17:51 Go to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Hello,
I was wondering if an early version of this feature described at siriusCon 2016 made it into the 1.5 release of Viatra?
Thanks,
Neil
Re: vaitra queries visualised using Sirius [message #1753568 is a reply to message #1753567] Tue, 07 February 2017 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zoltan Ujhelyi is currently offline Zoltan UjhelyiFriend
Hi Neil,

sadly, the graphical editor for pattern definitions was not stable enough to include it in VIATRA. We have identified a few key areas that need to be worked on, mostly from the stability standpoint, but so far we did not have enough time to fix it. It is still in our to do list, but have no estimated time of inclusion.

Best regards,
Zoltán
Re: vaitra queries visualised using Sirius [message #1753581 is a reply to message #1753568] Tue, 07 February 2017 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Zoltan,
I have a DSL similar to xcore ( which may or may not use vql) and I am looking at making some visual representation of it in eclipse Che. So I may try to make xcore work well in Che as a GitHub project and try to have some visual representation of xcore in Che. This will mean I need to look at some of the same issues of synchronisation that you will have looked at in Sirius representations of viatra query language using xtext , and we're explained well in the siriuscon talk..Che of course uses a very different API from Sirius and RCP., but some of the lessons learnt will be useful for me. I will take a look at your Sirius work when it is ready, and if you ever look at Che integration ( e.g. For Mondo) perhaps some of my work will be useful for you too.
Thanks, Neil
Re: vaitra queries visualised using Sirius [message #1753623 is a reply to message #1753581] Wed, 08 February 2017 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zoltan Ujhelyi is currently offline Zoltan UjhelyiFriend
Hi Neil,

I can share the source code of our current state with you (see Gerrit change https://git.eclipse.org/r/78055), but we are planning big changes because the following aspects:

* The fact that Xbase-using languages (such as Xcore, Xtend or VQL) changes in the textual syntax results in (a) rebuilding the EMF-based AST, and (b) rebuilding an inferred model structure used for code generation. This use case has some low-level technical issues (some of them are already solved in current Sirius/Xtext versions, but in general the situation is not perfect).
* In case of VQL, there is a large semantic gap between the EMF-based AST and the graphical representation, making model modification operations more complex.

For these reasons, we are planning to go with two separate syntaxes instead, and will not provide automated bidirectional synchronization between the two representation. The concrete details are being finalized, but we will have either an automated unidirectional transformation from the graphical to the textual syntax, and provide some on-demand transformation for the other direction, or we will have only on-demand synchronization between the languages.

I hope this was clear; if you have any more question, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Zoltán
Re: vaitra queries visualised using Sirius [message #1753634 is a reply to message #1753623] Wed, 08 February 2017 10:37 Go to previous message
Thanks Zoltan,
that is clear and very useful.
Hopefully I will not have a large semantic gap between the EMF-based AST and the graphical representation for my DSL, but I will not know until I have done further investigation.
Regards,
Neil
Previous Topic:queries on queries in VIATRA
Next Topic:Use qualified Classifier name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:16:43 GMT 2024