Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [XCore] xcore andChe(xcore andChe)
[XCore] xcore andChe [message #1753400] Sun, 05 February 2017 20:39 Go to next message
Neil Mackenzie is currently offline Neil MackenzieFriend
Hi,
I was wondering if there have been any efforts to get XCore editable (and useful via generators) in eclipse Che? Would such a thing be useful/interesting to others? it is something I may be able to devote some time to.
I am working on a DSL which has similarities to XCore. I plan to have a separation of responsibilities where domain experts can work on high level structure (e.g classes an attributes) but have programming experts work on more complex functions (like xbase functions for derived features or operations). I am very interested in having some textual editing AND visual tooling for this in Che (such as the basic 'outline view' available for xtext in eclipse IDE), and graphical comparison of structures using EMFCompare.
There are of course many challenges to doing this (use of LSP, outline view in Che, access to a DSL's AST in che, and many others). If they could be investigated in an open source project using a more well known DSL (i.e. Xcore), that would in turn help my project, and may help others. I note that sirius already has some visual '2 way' support of xtext languages, so some lessons could be useful there, but the implementation is likely to be very different for Che which uses quite different API's from RCP for UI . Also there has been some discussion and work done on integrating EMF and Che.
Any thoughts\ideas appreciated.
Regards,
Neil
Re: [XCore] xcore andChe [message #1753406 is a reply to message #1753400] Mon, 06 February 2017 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Neil Mackenzie wrote on Sun, 05 February 2017 15:39
Hi,
I was wondering if there have been any efforts to get XCore editable (and useful via generators) in eclipse Che?
Not that I know of.Quote:
Would such a thing be useful/interesting to others?
I suspect so, though as an example, it's a rather complicated one. Quote:
it is something I may be able to devote some time to.
I am working on a DSL which has similarities to XCore. I plan to have a separation of responsibilities where domain experts can work on high level structure (e.g classes an attributes) but have programming experts work on more complex functions (like xbase functions for derived features or operations). I am very interested in having some textual editing AND visual tooling for this in Che (such as the basic 'outline view' available for xtext in eclipse IDE), and graphical comparison of structures using EMFCompare.
I see.Quote:

There are of course many challenges to doing this (use of LSP, outline view in Che, access to a DSL's AST in che, and many others). If they could be investigated in an open source project using a more well known DSL (i.e. Xcore), that would in turn help my project, and may help others. I note that sirius already has some visual '2 way' support of xtext languages, so some lessons could be useful there, but the implementation is likely to be very different for Che which uses quite different API's from RCP for UI . Also there has been some discussion and work done on integrating EMF and Che.
Any thoughts\ideas appreciated.
It's interesting, but as part of the EMF project, it's something I'd likely end up having to maintain personally. There's already a lot to variants to maintain, such as the GWT version of EMF of EMF Core and Edit, the RAP version of EMF UI. And of course it's a lot of new stuff to learn. So without funding, it's not so directly appealing, though definitely very interesting. You could certainly start as a public github project and of course I'm always willing to help and answer questions and the Xtext forum is always very helpful.Quote:

Regards,
Neil

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: [XCore] xcore andChe [message #1753429 is a reply to message #1753406] Mon, 06 February 2017 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ed,
I will consider doing this as a github project, and let people know.
Hopefully it could work as an interesting concrete example for investigating some of the challenges of integrating more complex DSL's with Che (particularly where some visual tooling is desired)
Regards,
Neil
Re: [XCore] xcore andChe [message #1757796 is a reply to message #1753400] Mon, 20 March 2017 00:08 Go to previous message
I had a further look into this, unfortunately I wont have time to create a github project for it. I will continue to contribute to any efforts for visual tooling around emf and che though.
Regards,
Neil
Previous Topic:[CDO] ClassCastException when setting transaction on a new branch
Next Topic:[xcore] cannot create build.properties
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:41:34 GMT 2024