Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Tagging a build in CVS via hudson...
Tagging a build in CVS via hudson... [message #1753309] Fri, 03 February 2017 16:20 Go to next message
Nick Wilkins is currently offline Nick WilkinsFriend
Hello All,

So I have recently had the pleasure of taking over a Hudson environment. The environment has also been migrated from one active directory domain to another.

Hudson ver. 1.347 running on Windows Vista For Business.

I have a user trying to CVS tag a build within the hudson web ui. They receive the following error:

Build #6

Tagging is in progress:

Tagging TZ2020-18-PatchBarcodeReprintGUI #6 as hudson-6
expanding the workspace archive into C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\hudson4467453514738060570tmp
tagging the workspace
[PatchBarcodeReprintApp] $ "C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" tag -R hudson-6
Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
PAM authenticate error: Authentication failure
cvs [tag aborted]: authorization failed: server *DETAILS REMOVED* rejected access to /home/projects/TZ2020 for user hudsonuser2
CVS failed. exit code=1
tagging failed
cleaning up C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\hudson4467453514738060570tmp

Completed

I have searched high and low to try and find where the credentails for hudsonuser2 are set but I am unable to track them down.

I have loaded up CVS using the hudsonuser2 credentials and been able to connect to the CVS repository perfectly fine. So I have confirmed that bit works... I just need some guidance on where hudson or CVS stores the credentials for this tagging a build process.

Many Thanks

Nick,
Re: Tagging a build in CVS via hudson... [message #1753828 is a reply to message #1753309] Fri, 10 February 2017 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Tuttle is currently offline Matt TuttleFriend
It has been awhile since I have had to do this but the answer depends on what version of CVS you are running. You basically have to provide the location to the .cvspass file or run the "cvs login" command from the command line.

.cvspass file can be configured from "Manage Hudson" --> "Configure System" --> "CVS" (near the middle)

Additional information directly from the Hudson help page:
CVS stores the login and password information in a file called ".cvspass". Normally CVS loads this file in your home directory, but if you want to have Hudson load it from a different place, specify the full path to the file. Otherwise leave it blank.
If you are using CVSNT (am I?), then this setting is likely to be ignored. See this note for more about why. In this case, you need to run "cvs login" command manually to enter password. If Hudson runs under the same user as you do, then this would be straight-forward. However, if Hudson runs as a service, you'd need to first launch CMD.exe as the SYSTEM user, then you need to run cvs command from there. See this document for how to do this.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 February 2017 13:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tagging a build in CVS via hudson... [message #1753867 is a reply to message #1753828] Sat, 11 February 2017 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Matt,

Thank you for the reply. So I am using CVSNT. I read somewhere that CVSNT reads the registry for the connection details.

I edited the registry but I still get the above error.

Looking at it further I see this: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

I then tried sorting the link via a command prompt. First of all logging in and then setting the CVS root to the directory above. But still the same error.

Where is hudson pulling these details for CVSNT so that I can update them?

Many Thanks

Nick,
Re: Tagging a build in CVS via hudson... [message #1753868 is a reply to message #1753867] Sat, 11 February 2017 01:18 Go to previous message
Found the issue.

In windows the hudson service needs to also run as the user used to access the cvs server.

You will also need to go into the registry and remove any entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Cvsnt > cvspass & HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Software > Cvsnt > cvspass - Now whilst logged into the windows machine as the user you set to the hudson service you need to perform a cvs login via a command prompt

Then in the registry copy the entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Cvsnt > cvspass to HKEY_USERS > .DEFAULT > Software > Cvsnt > cvspass
Previous Topic:TFS tab not showing up in Configure system
Next Topic: launch a Jenkins slave running off a docker image that runs on my Linux AMI (AWS)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:10:37 GMT 2024