Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf(Best practices for creating an ESH based solution)
How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1753296] Fri, 03 February 2017 13:24 Go to next message
Sebastian Janzen is currently offline Sebastian JanzenFriend
Hi!

Thanks to Markus, we have a starting point for ESH based solutions. It's very lightweight and has less magic and extras then Karaf and has no config-file overhead, which makes it an ideal candidate for embedded platforms.

But after starting using that, I ask myself, what the best practices are.

@markus
Should it be used as a final step in development to package all together?
I ask myself:

1. Should I develop inside my copy of smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf?
  2. Is it bad to enhance that with tycho/targetplatform stuff to compile own code?
  3. How should I decouple my own Binding dev cycle from the rest of ESH to be able to stay up to date with ESH repos?
  4. Whats the best way to add patched versions of existing bundles? Of course I have to test stuff in my own environment before creating a PR.
  5. Would it be better to have two environments? One regular oomph based setup to work on public code and a private one? How do I get stuff exchanged between them?

I'm aware that there is always a way, but is there anybody who has found a great way of doing this? Maybe there's a golden way I never found. Smile Extending the packaging-sample feels wrong

Re: How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1753297 is a reply to message #1753296] Fri, 03 February 2017 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hm, I am only aware of https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome-packaging-sample, which was not done by Markus , so he might be the wrong person to ask.

Did you mix up something?
Re: How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1753350 is a reply to message #1753297] Sat, 04 February 2017 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Rathgeb is currently offline Markus RathgebFriend

Hi Sebastian,
if you are referring to smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf or some of my repos, please contact me directly per mail.
I assume we can find a solution for your requirements.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 February 2017 10:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1753524 is a reply to message #1753350] Tue, 07 February 2017 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kiran Patil is currently offline Kiran PatilFriend
Hi Markus and Sebastian,

Can you please share your current development methodology ?

We are also in need of it.

If you have any link where it is documented, please share it.

Thanks.
Re: How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1753528 is a reply to message #1753524] Tue, 07 February 2017 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Rathgeb is currently offline Markus RathgebFriend

It really depends on the project / stuff I am working for.

My favourite is to use pure Maven projects and the bnd-maven-plugin (formerly the maven-bundle-plugin) to create OSGi bundles.
So I could use annotations to create OSGi components (DS) and Maven plugins for quality checks.

If I work on Eclipse SmartHome upstream stuff (modify the source code that relies in the ESH repository) I use the Eclipse IDE setup provided by that project.
Re: How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1753711 is a reply to message #1753528] Thu, 09 February 2017 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Janzen is currently offline Sebastian JanzenFriend
That sounds very interesting. I will contact you about that or maybe we can talk directly at the OH/ESH Meetup in Duesseldorf in March.
Re: How to use smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf [message #1761431 is a reply to message #1753711] Thu, 11 May 2017 05:59 Go to previous message
Kiran Patil is currently offline Kiran PatilFriend
Hi Sebastian,

Any updates of how have you progressed so far ?

Are you using ESH + Karaf (smarthome-packaging-sample-karaf) for realworld deployment ?

Thanks,
Kiran.
Previous Topic:[feature suggestion] Add transform on value of item to apply a bias
Next Topic:Difficulty creating a solution using the ESH bundles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:59:16 GMT 2024