Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext via Equinox without a UI component(Initialising an Xtext Project in an OSGi Environment WITHOUT a UI component)
Xtext via Equinox without a UI component [message #1752988] Tue, 31 January 2017 17:15 Go to next message
Felix Kampfer is currently offline Felix KampferFriend
Hi,

how would I go about using Xtext via Eclipse-Equinox without an editor/workspace component? I'm not sure if my question even makes sense, but I'd like to instantiate an Xtext project using an extension point that doesn't make UI contributions. I'm aware that it's also possible to have a standalone setup.

Section 8.2 of the tutorial demonstrates how to extend "org.eclipse.ui.editors", but that's not what I'm after.

My ultimate goal is creating a plugin with an API to parse a string, serialize models, and provide a content assist function for a web-based editor for my language.
Architecture restrictions require me to use Xtext 2.5, which unfortunately doesn't generate a web editor plugin from the get-go.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Re: Xtext via Equinox without a UI component [message #1753142 is a reply to message #1752988] Thu, 02 February 2017 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

Please note that "standalone" mode means always without any Equinox runtime, while the "UI" part is meant to be running within Equinox. Xtext has also UI dependencies in its default "UI" part and is not designed to run in a non-UI Equinox environment by default.
What you have to do is to provide a UI-less "UI Module". Problem here is that parts of the shared UI is also UI dependent.
Quite some work to get things sorted, but we have that also in a "headless" Equinox application.
Please do not use the StandaloneSetup!
Re: Xtext via Equinox without a UI component [message #1753156 is a reply to message #1753142] Thu, 02 February 2017 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any recommendations about where to start?
Re: Xtext via Equinox without a UI component [message #1753157 is a reply to message #1753156] Thu, 02 February 2017 09:59 Go to previous message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2017 10:00]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Indexing/Linking order problem
Next Topic:Xtext 2.11 is out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:13:55 GMT 2024