Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPP » [AERI] Access Logs from within Eclipse IDE
[AERI] Access Logs from within Eclipse IDE [message #1752318] Sat, 21 January 2017 11:07 Go to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

First of all thanks again for this great tool. It really helps us to track down rare occurring issues.

An issue I'm currently facing is that the logs are only accessible through a web browser. Having them available directly within Eclipse IDE to faster find the classes and locations of errors would be extremly valuable and reducing the switching effort between windows. I gave the internal Eclipse webbrowser a quick try however I got some error message that page could not be shown.

Are there any plans for an Eclipse integration. Can I do something in my browser setup to get it working there. Because this would allow nice things like shown in this article [1] (unfortunately I only found a German version) about using web apps together with Eclipse plugins.

Cheers,
Alois

[1] https://jaxenter.de/eclipse-browser-integration-51532
Re: [AERI] Access Logs from within Eclipse IDE [message #1752382 is a reply to message #1752318] Mon, 23 January 2017 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Alois,

first, thanks for the kind feedback!

The idea of an Eclipse integration is nice. Unfortunately there are no resources available that could develop such integration at the moment.

Regarding the SWT browser integration:
The UI is (still) subject to changes. Because of that I would not go for an SWT browser integration at the moment.

An alternative I can imagine is, to provide a REST API that allows clients to query the repository of all available problems and to return details of an individual problem as JSON. If someone else would stand up to built an Eclipse integration around this, that would be awesome.

Interested?
Re: [AERI] Access Logs from within Eclipse IDE [message #1752410 is a reply to message #1752382] Mon, 23 January 2017 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi,

Unfortunately I've never used REST APIs and JSON before. Yes I know it is unbelievable. So appart from the little spare time I would have for this I don't think I'm a good bet.

Maybe as a first step it would already be great if we could find out why the page does not show up in the internal browser at all. The last time when I tried to open it it even crashed my Eclipse. I'm using Eclipse Neon.2 on Debian Linux with Gnome 3 UI.
Re: [AERI] Access Logs from within Eclipse IDE [message #1752467 is a reply to message #1752410] Tue, 24 January 2017 07:46 Go to previous message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

I just did load a problem page [1] and a listing with Oxygen on Mac. No problems editing a problem so far. Since it crashes Eclipse reliably, this might be worth filing a bug report against SWT. WDYT? If you do, please put me on the cc list.

Regarding the integration. JSON and REST is something we might help with. But at some stage the Eclipse integration needs to display listings (of problems or error reports send by a user) in a view. So there is an RCP/Eclipse part that could be shared. In case you would be interested to work on the integration (after the REST interface), let me know Smile

Cheers,
Marcel

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/aeri/v2/#!/problems/55cdbcfde4b0ab3ea6d9d081

[Updated on: Tue, 24 January 2017 07:47]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:news.eclipse.org is shutting down.
Next Topic:[AERI]Can the default configuration be set to "Off" for Eclipse & 3rd party projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:55:04 GMT 2024